15.2%
  3. combination

21.2%
  4. none

1.0%
  1. euphiesman Initiate Member

hi

2. fletch Member Member

real, all the way. totally. I cant stand fake plants. I realy want to keep crabs but I value my real plants too much. Id definately have real plants in there over anything.

3. onelovie Member Member

Yep, I second that!

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I love real plants! They not only make your tank beautiful, but they also help with nitrates!

5. tennhound Initiate Member

real plant and nothing else here. I think they make the tank look better nad they are better for the fish. plants also help keep the levels down with less maintanance.

MARIE

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I like live plants much better. although I do have fake plants in my breeder/fry tanks. The angels like to move their eggs and fry around quite alot and they destroy live plants doing that soooo I gave them some fake plants and they love them. There are live floating plants to suck up the nitrates though.
    Carol

7. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I only have fake plants in my 10-gallon. However, I agree that real ones are much better. They take a little more work, but they look sooooooo much more beautiful. Someday I want a 55-gallon planted Amazon aquarium. But for now, I'll stick to fake ones while I'm learning to care for the fish.

8. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

I have real plants because I love the way they move in the water but I do have a couple of fake plants in my other tank because my other fish love to destroy the real ones...bummer :-\

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I would like to have real platns but they are so much extra time and work. :( I know they are so beautiful and help w nitrates and stuff but I just wouldn't have the time and my mom would probably be against it anyway. :-\

10. Jason Well Known Member Member

You dont really have to put that much effort if you get plants that can survive in low light. Visit that Plant Geek website for further info on low light plants. These usually have minimal requirements.

11. Craig Well Known Member Member

i use alot of fake plants but i would LOVE 2 use real plants but the proper pH 7.0 stuff i use from aqarium pharmaceuticals says on the bak DO NOT USE THIS pH BUFFER WITH LIVE AQUARIUM PLANTS so that sucks!!!! i said!! actually any ideas on this guys and girls?? could i hav live plants?

CHEERS

C W

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

My minds gone dead I can't remember why your're burrerin g to change your ph. My water is 7.4 and plants grow great. But don't know about the chemicals.

13. Jason Well Known Member Member

Craig, I say you go and try some of the tougher varieties. Should be ok

14. Craig Well Known Member Member

well i've takin a bit of a bashin about usin the pH 7.0 stuff so im goin 2 stop usin it 4 and i'll c how i get on lol

C W ;D

15. Jason Well Known Member Member

;D

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

J-Man I guess you've learned to read my mis-typing. I said burring instead of buffering. But evidently you knew what I meant ;) Thanks. There are plants that will grow in just about any PH. Just have to do some research. If you will post your Ph we could have some fun and make plant suggestions for you :p But lets start a new thread for that since we're hyjacking this one :eek:
    Now as far as the chemical, if theres a big difference in your natural ph (before chemical) and after buffering you might want to stop using it a little at a time so theres not a big ph fluctuation. This fluctuation  might make your fish uncomfortable. Just some thoughts.
    Carol

17. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

i have fake plants

18. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Fake plants are not bad and they can look as nice as real plants do, but if one can, it's best for his/her tank's ecology to have live plants. Live plants help keep the water clean and stable. They oxygenate water which is great for fish. They also help keep the pH stable and they remove heavy metals that are toxic to fish. If a tank is planted very heavily, the plants prevent algal blooms and they keep nitrate very low or non-existent. They get rid of ammonia and nitrite. So in these respects, live plants are far better than fake ones. Not only do live plants look better, but they actually contribute to the maintenance of tank by helping in keeping it clean.

19. Jon Well Known Member Member

i use live... threw out a dieing argentine sword that did not work for my aquarium and bought 2 java ferns today... flippin costed me 7$ a fern i was like wtf?

20. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Really? $7 for one fern? That is a darn lot! But you're lucky they have these plants at your store at all. In my LFS, they NEVER had any java ferns, java mosses, or anubias. Even when I asked them to order, they did not. That sucks. I'll have to order online, and for that I need to wait until the spring, as the plants can freeze in the cold during shipping.

Look here: http://www.aquariumgarden.com/index.php?doc_base=plant_info.php&plantid=mi078 - java ferns for only $2.49. On this website, you can have 3 java ferns for $7. Probably even with shipping and handling fees it would still be cheaper to order java ferns here than to buy java ferns at your LFS at $7 each.