Real Ocean Sand For Aquarium

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Steve34k, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Steve34k

Steve34kValued MemberMember

can I put. Sand from the gulf in my aquarium. From deep out

2. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

You may... of course, lol... do what you'd like. I think I would trust sand from the wild if indeed you get it quite far from shore. I would trust that the sand itself would be okay but keep in mind that you may also be bringing in whatever lives in that sand. Like perhaps, a mantis shrimp! That might be interesting for a short time but remember that there are many wild critters that we would consider pests in our tanks.

You've certainly piqued my curiosity. :) As a person who grew up on a small island with the Atlantic on one side and the Gulf on the other, well, I know the expense of the average day out on the boat, so it doesn't seem like the cost of purchased sand is what's keeping you from using it. I also know the gear required and the exhaustion to come from a fun day under the surface... collecting sand doesn't sound so fun to me though.;) So, if you wouldn't mind sharing, why would you like to use Gulf sand in your tank? ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Steve34k

Well tank has cycled. I want more sand. Bagged sand. Is very cloudy when introduced. I’m going to the gulf this weekend. I can get 50 yards out and bring. A cooler of sand home. Lots cheaper than 30$ a bag. I’ll rinse it and filter it when I get home. Wondering if it would b ok

4. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

The biggest issue IMHO is pollutants in the sand and introducing it to your tank. To me the savings isn't large enough to warrant the risk.

5. stella1979

I agree with Jester... pollutants enter the sea every day and when you said you'd get the sand 'from deep out' I assumed you meant at least a couple of miles from shore, and that explains why I compared the cost of a boat trip and dive gear to a bag of sand.

6. OP
    OP
    Steve34k

I have read lots of posts. Sand types. Argonite vs silica. Beach sand being mostly silica. People are using this. Silica does not cause diatom blooms. It will not dissolve. Glass is primary silica. Anyway. I rinsed it for 5 hours. It looks beautiful. Biggest. Thing I like. I do not see the crab and snail trails. They blend in. Ph did not change yet. Water still test good. I will let you’ll know if I have an issue. But it is prettier than the argonite

7. stella1979

Awesome.:) I'm glad you like it and very glad you did your research.;) Wild sand isn't standard so we can all learn from your experience. Can't wait to see it!:)

8. OP
    OP
    Steve34k

Gulf coast sand is white quarts. It is inert and safe.

9. OP
    OP
    Steve34k

Honestly. It was worth the risk. Free tank. 50$ for rock. Cheap skimmer. Actually works well. 14$ for 2 power heads. Cheap hob filter. And free sand saved me 200$. And 50$ worth of fish. I like it

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    Steve34k

It’s been a few weeks. Still no issues. For those who are curious. I bought some magic eraser sheets. They work great on algae well wife bought. She keeps asking me where they go. Lol