Real marimos?

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They look real to me. usually the fake ones are "too round". Try taking some tank water in a small container, and squeeze them out really good a few times, then put them back in the tank. It will take some time for microorganisms to grow on them for shrimp to eat, but they should catch tiny food particles which the shrimp should go for. Ive found shrimp aren't as crazy for marimo as everyone makes them out to be, yes they like them, but I don't think they really go crazy for them.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to the forum. Yes they look like marimo moss balls. Could you please explain what you mean about the shrimp? My ghost shrimps will pick little bits of food off them but do not hide in them if that is what your asking. What kind of shrimp do you have? Alison

OP
C

Cameron090601

Reaction score
When I got them they were squished in the post almost flat so does that mean they are real

OP
C

Cameron090601

Reaction score
Amano and ghost (lfs sold me ghost by accident) and my lfs told me + the Internet that shrimp feed microorganisms off the marimos but I guess the microorganisms haven't built up yet

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To clean them I gently squish them in some clean dechlorinated water, and the gently roll them in my hands as though you're making a meatball and put them back in. They can come apart if you are too rough with them so the operative word is gentle, Don't try to make a pancake out of it. He He. Alison.......Yes that takes time. Did they charge you the price of the amano for the ghost shrimp they gave you by accident?

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fake ones usually have hard ball shaped object in the center that the java moss or whatever is glued to, the real ones are soft in the middle and squishy feeling. Alison

New Threads