Real marimos?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Cameron090601, Jul 30, 2015.

1. C

Cameron090601 New Member Member

So I ordered a few marimo moss balls from fish around Ltd and I wanted to check if they were real or not because none of my shrimp have taken a liking to them uploadfromtaptalk1438259794529.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    C

3. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Squish them in your hand. They looks real to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

They look real to me. usually the fake ones are "too round". Try taking some tank water in a small container, and squeeze them out really good a few times, then put them back in the tank. It will take some time for microorganisms to grow on them for shrimp to eat, but they should catch tiny food particles which the shrimp should go for. Ive found shrimp arent as crazy for marimo as everyone makes them out to be, yes they like them, but I dont think they really go crazy for them.

5. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum. Yes they look like marimo moss balls. Could you please explain what you mean about the shrimp? My ghost shrimps will pick little bits of food off them but do not hide in them if that is what your asking. What kind of shrimp do you have? Alison

6. OP
    OP
    C

When I got them they were squished in the post almost flat so does that mean they are real

7. OP
    OP
    C

Amano and ghost (lfs sold me ghost by accident) and my lfs told me + the Internet that shrimp feed microorganisms off the marimos but I guess the microorganisms haven't built up yet

8. aliray

To clean them I gently squish them in some clean dechlorinated water, and the gently roll them in my hands as though you're making a meatball and put them back in. They can come apart if you are too rough with them so the operative word is gentle, Don't try to make a pancake out of it. He He.:p Alison.......Yes that takes time. Did they charge you the price of the amano for the ghost shrimp they gave you by accident?

9. aliray

The fake ones usually have hard ball shaped object in the center that the java moss or whatever is glued to, the real ones are soft in the middle and squishy feeling. Alison

10. OP
    OP
    C

Yeah I think I have real ones, thanks everyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice