Real animal skull in a fish tank???

andrewm

Reaction score
I am setting my parents fish tank up for them and I found this old goat skull in the pasture.  I am wondering if I can put it into the fish tank or if anyone has attempted this?  I have boiled it to remove all impurities.  Hopefully someone has attempted this and can tell me how they made out.  Any feedback is great! Thank you.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
andrewm said:
I am setting my parents fish tank up for them and I found this old goat skull in the pasture. I am wondering if I can put it into the fish tank or if anyone has attempted this? I have boiled it to remove all impurities. Hopefully someone has attempted this and can tell me how they made out. Any feedback is great! Thank you.
I'm not sure.. generally it's not a good idea to add stuff like that.. the skull could leak calcium or other minerals into the water maybe. I've not tried to add animal bone material to a tank though, so maybe someone who has can confirm or deny if it's a good idea.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It would leach calcium, but in my opinion if it is clean (boiled and all meat cleaned off) it shouldn't foul the water in any way that would be overly harmful to your fish. The thing about it is keep an eye on your ph and if it is extremely high you may not want to keep it in. We add buffering materials all the time if the ph has to be changed. Shells, gravel with shells, bring it up, driftwood and peat bring it down. So the skull and a big chunk of driftwood should..........The thing about bones, they are much softer than shells, so would dissolve much faster. If you enjoy the skull, keep it on a shelf, to look at.

Land of the Midnight Sun 8)

andrewm

Reaction score
Just an update on this question.  I put the skull into the tank and the skull decomposed at a rapid rate and made the water go cloudy.  Thus I took the skull out and I would not recommend for anyone else to try it unless you do not mind cloudy water.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
andrewm said:
Just an update on this question. I put the skull into the tank and the skull decomposed at a rapid rate and made the water go cloudy. Thus I took the skull out and I would not recommend for anyone else to try it unless you do not mind cloudy water.
that's too bad.. were your fish all ok?

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks andrewm for the update. Good to know, hope the cloudiness clears up, and your fish are OK. Let us know. Even shells do dissolve, I have some in my tank, and find they last well, but over time break down, they haven't caused any cloudiness though as far as I can tell.

Good to hear from you again.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

BoSox Fan7

Valued Member
Reaction score
That gross why would you want to have a goat skull in your tank? THat is wierd.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That gross why would you want to have a goat skull in your tank? THat is wierd.
Actually, if you got to the LFS and look at the decorations, you'll see plenty of plastic skulls. Human, animal and dinosaur. So the idea of having a real one isn't as weird as it first seems. I like my tank to look as real as possible, and a real skull is definitly better than a plastic one. And I've seen some goats with some pretty wild horns, so I can see the attraction there. I have a huge old ram skull; horns over 2 feet wide and the thing weighs about 30 lbs. It would look awesome at the bottom of a really big tank.
However, after reading this thread, i think I'll just keep it on the wall.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd like the skull off the cover of this video game.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score

OMG... that is too cool. I have to go look for the game now.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jim said:

OMG... that is too cool. I have to go look for the game now.
lol.. and the ps3. unless you already have one?

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, well there is that little glitch....

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jim said:
Yeah, well there is that little glitch....
lol.. yea.. it is a pretty good shooter according to the guys down at eb games. average story but with a shooter who cares - it's all about killing everything that moves.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom