10 Gallon Tank Ready to order my shrimp. Blue Dream or Blue Bolt

DTurner

This 10 gallon has been running and cycling for 1 Month. Yesterday checking the parameters it was: 71.4 Temp, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 2.5 Nitrates, 6.7 PH, 1 KH, 3 GH, 280 TDS. How do these parameters look for Blue Dream or Blue Bolt?

I had to replace some of my original plants last week because I tried treating for snails before planting and I think I did it wrong as they died. There are 2 Anibius Petite I hope come back and I'm hoping the Christmas Moss returns as well.

I started noticing more diatome algae last week on the rocks, wood and glass. I'm contemplating either Blue Bolt or Blue Dream shrimp to start.

Would love any advice or suggestions. ultimately I'm wanting to also add some schooling nano fish as well once I get the colony established. Nervous for adding the shrimp as a new colony isn't exactly the cheapest thing and they are more sensitive than many other fish.

Cue

I am definitely not the shrimp expert here but my personal opinion: blue dream.
Blue bolts are Caridina, and are a bit more difficult, not a good starter. Blue dreams are neocaridina and a bit easier.

Leeman75

Another vote for the Neos...I have Blue Dream and love them!! I don't know if you have chosen where you will get them, but I got 5 + 1 from Pwilly, who is a Forum member and sponsor, and they came in so colorful and healthy. A few months later and I have probably about 20 in the tank now.

You must be registered to see images

Here's the link to his site to check it out: Tropical Fish Breeder | Pwilly's Fish Emporium

ProudPapa

While I'll agree that caridina shrimp are more difficult than neocaridinas, I believe your water parameters are better suited to caridinas. Hopefully richiep, one of our resident shrimp keeping experts, will have some insight.

richiep

I agree with JettsPapa your water is more suited to caradina but as it stands I'd give it at least another 6 weeks before attempting to put blue bolt in, you really need to get your tank fully cycled and stable

DTurner

I agree with JettsPapa your water is more suited to caradina but as it stands I'd give it at least another 6 weeks before attempting to put blue bolt in, you really need to get your tank fully cycled and stable

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely hold off on the shrimp for a few more weeks. i might however go to the LFS and try to find some ramshorn or common pond snails to help combat a little bit of my algae buildup.

a thing to note, i don't have nor plan on getting in my current apartment RO/DI water. I'm using just tap and water conditioner. because of that should i do the Neo's or would Blue Bolts be okay if I'm getting those numbers on Tap water.
Another vote for the Neos...I have Blue Dream and love them!! I don't know if you have chosen where you will get them, but I got 5 + 1 from Pwilly, who is a Forum member and sponsor, and they came in so colorful and healthy. A few months later and I have probably about 20 in the tank now.

You must be registered to see images

Here's the link to his site to check it out: Tropical Fish Breeder | Pwilly's Fish Emporium

they look fantastic, I'll definitely check out Pwilly. i was planning on doing an order with Flip Aquatics but i am not set in stone by any means.

Reorn44

I hope that you might be able to help me out with a problem i just created for myself... I have a post but idk how to show u that

Leeman75

While I'll agree that caridina shrimp are more difficult than neocaridinas, I believe your water parameters are better suited to caridinas. Hopefully richiep, one of our resident shrimp keeping experts, will have some insight/
Totally missed the parameters!! Glad you were there to save the day!! :)

richiep

I guessed those perameters were tap water, as it stands those are no good for neocaradina, adding some snails will help with the cycle.
Going the Caradina route is your best option just make sure you watch how the water fluctuates this is the only problem with tap water, from what comes back to me is water companies tend to switch their source twice a year with the result perameters move,
I hope that you might be able to help me out with a problem i just created for myself... I have a post but idk how to show u that
Tag me to the post

DTurner

I guessed those perameters were tap water, as it stands those are no good for neocaradina, adding some snails will help with the cycle.
Going the Caradina route is your best option just make sure you watch how the water fluctuates this is the only problem with tap water, from what comes back to me is water companies tend to switch their source twice a year with the result perameters move,

Tag me to the post
okay sounds good, going to the fish store this afternoon to try and find some Ramshorn or another small type of snail. might as well get a new plant to fill in my back "tall area" to help things fill out quicker.

holding off got another month it so will let my carpet establish more anyway so i am not worried about waiting.

I've heard i should try and raise my GH to between 4 and 6 instead of where it's at. Would you also suggest this?

richiep

See how thing stabilise over the next few weeks, it may rise naturally as the tank settles, once you know how things stabilise you can then decide which shrimp you want to go with, as it stands blue bolt will live in what you got and even a bit higher

New Shrimp Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom