Ready To Give Up

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Courtney Moreau, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Courtney Moreau

Courtney Moreau Valued Member Member

I thought I would get a fish tank as a new hobby so I bought a 10 gallon tank and everything the fish store told me I needed. Bought stuff before I did my research, my fault but now I know more. I know about cycling and testing water.

I cycled my tank and do regular maintenance of water changes and testing and everything is fine. My parameters are great and my current platys seem happy. So why is my betta dying?

Every time i think i have a hang on everything and my fish are doing great something goes wrong and a fish is sick. So what am i doing wrong?

I'm about ready to sell the whole thing and give up. I love my fish and want to well with this but I keep getting discouraged. Not to mention my family keeps calling me a fish killer.

What do I do next?

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Don't give up. Sure, there are going to be some pitfalls and bumps, but keep pushing. We believe in you ;)

3. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Your stocking has a few issues with the betta. He is likely stressed if he's not harming the platys. Some do better with tankmates than others.

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

So what fish do you have in your 10 gal? Any clue as to why the betta are dying (disease, physical injury, etc)? Betta are notoriously tricky & unpredictable when kept with other fish - some people have no problems & some people can’t do it successfully.

5. Rylan

Rylan Well Known Member Member

I think everybody feels like giving up on this hobby at some point. Can you tell us more about your Betta? Maybe we can help. I’ve lost a few fish myself up until now but sometimes it’s not always your fault. Sometimes fish just get sick, whether that’s because of poor breeding or just the fact that sometimes like us these creatures develop an issue just because it’s an imperfect world. There are so many factors at play in fishkeeping. It’s pretty much another world altogether and there’s a definite learning curve but like all learning curves it evens out eventually! Don’t give up just yet.

Edit: it’s true Betta communities are difficult to do! Even for experienced fish keepers. I was the fish killer in my family for a while and now I’ve got friends asking for my help to set up tanks. Keep going! It gets better. Of course it’s up to you.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    Courtney Moreau

I have 3 platys and the one betta is actually my dads, so far no issues with the betta hurting the others and it's just untill I get the money for a tank for the betta, we had one but it was way too small.

I woke up this morning to find him laying on the bottom of the tank still breathing but struggling to swim. I tested my water and everything was fine but the nitrates where at a 5 so I did a water change. After so research I think he has swim bladder. I put him into the old tank just so it doesn't harm the other fish. He is just laying there now.

This happened before with a Molly i had and he didn't last the day.

I desperately want a bigger tank because I know now they are easier to keep the parameters correct but being a poor college student makes it hard.

Thank you for the kind words and help

7. Rylan

Rylan Well Known Member Member

Okay. Not sure about about the platy, but in Bettas, swim bladder disorder is normally caused by accidental overfeeding and is easy to remedy. Can you describe more of the symptoms he’s displaying that lead you to conclude that it’s a swim bladder issue? How long has he been displaying symptoms? As long as he’s not pine-coning or something there should be something we can do to help...

I understand being a poor college student, been there! I’ve seen a lot of Facebook marketplace listings for tanks. Perhaps you could check there or Craigslist even eBay.

I don’t know a lot about platy’s so maybe someone else can weigh in there.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    Courtney Moreau

So in the morning I found him struggling to swim and he at one point got stuck to my filter but he was fine the night before, I spent all day checking on him making sure he was still breathing but last night he did die unfortunately. I think I'll stop with bettas for now and stick with my platys, they seem to be loving life since the betta is gone though, they don't hide anymore

9. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Were you using any meds? If so what were they. Any chance it was melafix or pimafix?

Bettas realy should not be kept with other fish, esp tetras esp neons.

They have the name fighting fish for a reason.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  10. DaleM

DaleM Well Known Member Member

What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Have you got actual figures? What test kit do you own? What water conditioner do you use? What is your water temp? What is your current stock (what species and how many)? Sorry for all the questions, but the more info we have the better.

5ppm of nitrate is perfectly fine, it's ammonia and nitrite that shouldn't be above 0. Anything under 40ppm of nitrate is ok, although aim to maintain at 10-20ppm

Some Bettas are fine in a community tank, depending on their temperament, although all species of tetra can be a bit nippy and might nip at the fins of your Betta.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  11. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about the betta, but glad your platys are looking good. When my tank started I had 2 platys & I was surprised at how much personality they had! Them coming out of hiding with the death of the betta also gives you some insight into community tank dynamics with the betta in- even if you saw no aggression. Good luck & keep reading on Fishlore! I have learned so much & gained much confidence.

12. OP
    OP
    Courtney Moreau

As soon as I get home i can get all the information but from memory - my temp is around 78? My parameters were 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 5 nitrates and Ph is I think 7.5? My water treatment is API and the test kit is the API freshwater master test kit.

I have a few fake plants with a live moss ball, some type of sprite plant and a little grass type (can't remeber names exactly) the 3 platys are a mickey mouse, a green lantern and a red tail Dalmatian, all female. My filter is a 20 gallon hob and my heater is 20 gallons ad well because o have a cold house but my temp does not fluctuate really. (can't remeber brands)

I hope any of this helps? If you need more specifics let me know I will figure it up

13. Awaken_Riceball_

Awaken_Riceball_ Valued Member Member

I will like to extend a warm welcome to you for taking up the aquarium hobby! Although it is a bad start and your family's negative perception is adding distress, I can tell that you are passionate to find success in this new hobby by coming to Fishlore seeking support! It is a great first move in the right direction and hopefully, the various Fishlore community experiences can help propel a way to success! Like you, new to the hobby, I failed big time with no family support and here I am two years later finding great success!

First, great job on understanding the importance of the Nitrogen Cycle and utilizing a great liquid test kit to know your water parameters. After reading through the topic, your water parameters are just fine to create a thriving aquarium environment.

Going forward, thinking other possible causes, like others have mentioned, a Betta's personality is unpredictable where some are compatible with a community setup and other Bettas are not. Also, Bettas do not like a lot of flow and the HOB may have been too powerful and stressed out the betta because Bettas are not strong swimmers. In addition, the type of food or how you feed may have resulted in the Betta dying as well.

For example, pellets or freeze dried food should be presoaked at least 5 minutes before feeding and a betta's stomach is the size of its eyeball.

Another possible cause is the fake plant that may have injured the betta permanently. I recommend purchasing "silk" fake plants that are much softer than hard, sturdy plastic decors that may cause permanent injury when the Betta got "spooked" and collided really hard against something sharp leading to permanent injury. Also, silk plants won't tear the delicate betta fins as easily.

From what I have read, it is implied that the Betta did fine for awhile until the swimming problem occurred and the Platties are more active after the Betta was passed away which entails that most likely the Betta chased/bullied the platties.

Lastly, keep gaining knowledge and one day, you will be proud when you went from nothing to something and a Facebook private message appears asking for your help with their aquarium :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice