Ready for some little friends...

Somethingfishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm cycled and ready to start... I have a 28 Gal. tank with sand instead of gravel... I like tiger barbs. I'm Going for a semi-aggressive tank... Just wondering what i should start out with and where I should go from there!?

Thanks

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Start with 6-8 tiger barbs , then figure out what else you would like to have in mid-water wait about a week and add them Then figure out what you want on bottom and do the same . Just go slow and stock light to begin.
If you want you can make a list of what you want and we can help you figure out compatibilities.
Carol

Somethingfishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Also I'd want a med. sized maybe like 4-5 inch fish, probably just be by himself... but no clue...
I'm looking at a red tailed shark, but lost one others?..... IDEAS?

>>>   I'd love a cool looking eel, any thing you recomend?

Thanks

also... Should I add salt? I hear its stress relieving, but im not sure with the Tiger Barbs and eventually the RTS.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know over the past few days they have helped me a lot with the compatibility of different fish. I hope these sites help you with your decision.
Tom

Somethingfishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok, so my wife in time wants a puffer... I've read that ther are fin nippers, i would assume they would go well with Barbs? anyone know from experience?

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
red tails are great fish to have, they definately like caves, so you'll have to get one/make one, they go well with many different fish, they're about a 5-6" fish

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Puffers are brackish water fish, very nippy. They really do better in a tank alone (species tank)
I have kuhli loaches that look a lot like eels, you might like them and since they stay small you could have 6-8 (they need to be in groups)
Lots of plants(real or artificial) and rocks would be cool
Habe heard theRedtail shark is cool but they definately need the bottom of the tank to themselves. Ok just rambling here
Carol

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks Butterfly!!!

now I know what those little things are, i had one when i was 5 he lived quite long about 4 years, I want to get some more, now i know what they are called - mine was just a rusty brown-grey colour, like the one in the photo - is there any difference - sorry for stealing your post a bit Somethingfishy... Forgive me?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The brownish/gray ones are called black kuhlis (Pangio javanicus) and the others are striped kuhlis of which there are a lot of different kinds. they're very easy to care for and love ther food.
Carol

Somethingfishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yea those are very cool...   I got my first 3 Tiger Barbs tonight, there just loving life it looks like.  the littlest one had a black spot on its side, like its sopposed to be there.  cute, and he's always like "HEY!! where you gong??" following the other two..  next week I'll get 3 more so they have more play mates...    hmmm.... then what?

I also seen some Bumblebee Cichlids today!!! Very cool !! too bad they'd pick on the barbs... NEXT TANK!!!! lol

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Great, i think ill add one to my betta tank, they might just get along!!! thanks guys!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kuhlis and tiger barbs both need to be in groups Kerryve.They don't display the same behaviour alone I'm afraid.
Carol

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh well. when i first joined Isabella gave me a great idea to put 50 neons in a big tank, im getting a 125g and ill do that and ill get about 10 or so of the kuhlis, will they get along?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom