Ready for dry ferts. Lost!

1. A

Ap05 Well Known Member Member

Alright guys you are all right. Liquid ferts are getting expensive. Excel I can handle but flourish and tetra flora pride are running high.

For root tabs I'm using Peabody paradise RuTabs, boost tabs, and osmocote tabs, monthly.

So for dry ferts, I would like for anyone to direct me to exactly what I need to buy, how much, and how much to dose. I'm completely new at this still and am rather lost.

Feel free to PM me as well!

Tank is 55g with 110 watts of 6500k light CFL. Plants are wisteria, Water sprite, Amazon sword, Java Fern, cabomba, and a little bit of Java Moss.

Will I still need root tabs with dry ferts? I would like to just pour directly into the tank as well. Much appreciation to anyone!

2. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I think that any fert method, dry or wet, is less important than balanced lighting and CO2. There are two methods of dry fertilizing: estimative index (EI) and Perpetual Preservation System (PPS Pro), and really a third goofy one called MCI that I don't know a lot about. Dosage calculators are available for both systems, but you'd need to research them and see which one you prefer.
    Also, I don't know that you need Boost and Osmocote. I'm seeing better results after 10 days of Boost than I saw with Osmocote.

3. JessH18

JessH18 Valued Member Member

This guy is who we bought all of our dry ferts from, we just started using them this week so I can't personally comment on his products yet, but all of the peer reviews on him are great! http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=696082&highlight=

And then this is our dosage for the dry ferts only.

KNO3 1.8 gm (approximately 1/4 teaspoons)
    KH2PO4 282 mg (approximately 1/16 teaspoons)
    Plantex CSM+B 1.2 gm (approximately 1/4 teaspoons)

Alternating KNO3/KH2PO4 with CSM+B for a 6 day cycle then 50%+ water change.

We are also going to start using omsocote plus for our root tabs. No liquid ferts though.