Readings won't go down

1. Altari Member Member

Foreward: I'm using test strips.

The readings are always on the edge of "Safe/Stress," no matter what I do. I did a 30% water change, in the course of vacuuming, the other day when all three showed up solidly in "stress." But, the readings just won't go down. :(

Any advice? Ideas? Questions that will make this question easier to answer?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'd suggest getting a good liquid test kit. The strips aren't all that reliable.
    Meaning you may or may not have the readings you think.
    I tested them once with pH. 2 Strips from the same container=2 different readings.

3. Altari Member Member

hmm...OK. I'll go to the Fish Store and look for the liquid test kit. If they don't have it, well...I don't know what I'll do. The next closest Fish Store is almost an hour away.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I can relate. Everything is close to an hour for me too.
    The API master kit is great, that's the one I'd recommend.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Altari. Sorry to hear you're having some issues. I see in your profile that you're using pH down? I would like to recommend that you not use chemicals to adjust your pH levels. They can swing drastically and even crash and end up in fish loss. Sudden changes in pH can be fatal especially if lowered to quickly. Here is a link you may find helpful concerning pH. Too, I can't say for certain but it could be playing havoc with your cycle readings. However I can't say for certain.
    Properly Maintaining the pH in a Freshwater Aquarium - Rate My Fish Tank

Most fish will adapt to the pH that we have to offer right from the tap. There are natural methods to lowering and raising your pH in the link I posted.

Good tips and suggestions above.
    Keep us posted.
    Ken