Reading this section has got me worried

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by summer, Mar 24, 2010.

1. s

summer New Member Member

I'm not sure about my Betta now (Chandler Bing).

he's a beautiful crown tail and I've had him for around 3 or 4 months.

he lives in a heavily planted 130lit tank ( 85 x 37 x 49 cm ) with swordtails, neon tetra, 2 sturisoma and 2 ancistrus cat fish

it has caves, bubbles, a rena 2xp external filter, an air stone and bogwood.

reading posts on this forum I'm now worried that he might not be happy :(

should I move him to my 10 gallon hospital tank to live on his own?

he doesn't seem to mind the other fish, he eats ok, swims up for air ok, hangs about at the bottom next to the air stone, or at the surface under the surface plants, and often entangles himself in the plants

he's never made a bubble nest

I'm worried now in case I've got his environment all wrong :(

2. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Welcome! Love his name, I think there's a Joey elsewhere on the forum too!

Keep the 10 gal as a backup tank in case something goes wrong as some bettas are OK in communities, but as you've read, most sadly aren't. You're doing your research, that's very good. Not all bettas make bubble nests but are very happy, they just don't do it. My brother's betta is a happy little chappy, very excitable at feeding time especially (Aren't they all?). We have had him for over 2 months now, he has never made a bubble nest either, it's nothing you should worry about.

Keep a close eye on him, watch for any fish damage, as they can suddenly decide tank mates are not good for them, and if this happens, get him into the 10 gal asap. As long as you are watching them and have that backup, you have a plan if it does go bad at some point.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. OP
    OP
    s

summer New Member Member

lol Ken - I did read some of the threads in those links - that's why I got worried :)

tigerfishy - is it more likely that Chandler will go for other fish if he's unhappy, or will he sulk in the corner a lot?

different question - if I do have to put him in the 10g, should I put him in on his own? I was thinking of putting the 2 ancistrus in there with him (I want to see if the ancistrus will breed).

this site is great though, so much info, and helpful advice from experienced fish keeprs :)

5. Aquarist

Good morning Summer,

Personally I would house the betta by himself. Maybe one day he and Monica will find each other and there will be little Bings all over the place! :whistling:

Ken

6. Tigerfishy

I have a betta - Mars, and he started in a community (I was the same as you!). He sulked and hid away, before becomin lethargic. I immediately divided the tank so he had his own section. He still didn't like this and just stayed 24 hrs on top of his filter. I got him his own tank and now he is a different fish! He is growing his fins for some reason (not going too well as they are not colouring up properly), he blows bubbles constantly and dances all the time, not just meal times!

However, I have a CT in the tank Mars was in, again in his own divided section, and he loves it. He's very happy, dances etc. They are all different, so just keep an eye on it.

He may go for them if he suddenly gets frustrated at having company, he may do it due to stress he feels, there's no set reason why he would do it, but if he's going to do it, he will. You have a back up so just get him in there if he does anything.

You'll probably find he gets more active, nosy, and personable in his own tank though. You'll be surprised how fun they can be by themselves!!

EDIT: :;laughing at Ken!!! Good one...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    s

summer New Member Member

ok thanks for the advice - I might try him on his own just to see if his behaviour changes.

btw we already have a monica, but she's a swordtail lol

oooh that begs another question - would a female betta do ok in a community tank?

8. Aquarist

Hello Summer.

I would use the same guide lines for both males and females. It's just too risky (IMO) for Bettas to be housed with tank mates.

Ken

ps....no little Bings then if Monica is a Swordtail. :(

9. Tigerfishy

Is it bad that I'm slightly gutted?? :(

10. Aquarist

lol Tiger,

Maybe you could start a new episode where Chandler and Rachel get together? :) Do you have a Rachel? If not...MM where are you? lol
    Ken

11. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

OMG I love Rachel!!! I'd love to see a betta Rachel. How long do you think it would be until my girl started telling me she wanted "the Rachel" look. LOL

12. Tigerfishy

Don't give her any ideas upright, you know what happens when bettas get an idea in their heads... Turn the screen away from her now, NOW!!

13. OP
    OP
    s

summer New Member Member

ha ha all the swordtails are named after 'friends' characters, but once janice turned into a boy we gave him away, so I have space for a Janice, and she did date chandler, so....

14. OP
    OP
    s

summer New Member Member

here's a picture of him :)

Attached Files:

15. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

Such a pretty boy!!

16. Tigerfishy

Aw, he's a lovely boy! I think there'll be a Janice around soon... :p

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (really bad computer impression of "the laugh")

17. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

He's beautiful!

18. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

he sure is beautiful!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice