Reading this darn alk test help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pep372

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay first thank you to the two people who helped with my last question..so here is question number two.
Using this alk test it says to draw alk pro 1ml into syringe then get 10ml of water start adding the alk pro until you hit the end color. So out of 1ml I used 0.8 leaving me with 0.2 now when you look at the chart it reads

1.0=4.0meq
0.9=3.6meq
0.8=3.2meq so on I assume I should be 0.8 lining up what I actually added not what remains is this a fare assumption. I know it may sound stupid but I am so new to this whole thing.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not.2 familiar with your test, but I would say .8. Because if it's using the .2 your alk. would be .8 meq (which I doubt).

3.2 meq/l isn't bad. It's the same as 8.96 DKH or 160ppm.

OP
pep372

pep372

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
?? for lanlesnee or anyone else

why would you doubt this?? Is it bad? I have the tank stocked with 65lbs of cured live rock, I have live sand also.. I am running the max 250! Are you saying I am doing something wrong?

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
.8 is way low. I can't imagine it being that low. .8 isn't all to far from what RO water would be.

3.2 is is most likily what it is and that's good.

Your test is very much like any other test. But instead of measuring how much solution you used ( the .8 ) and figuring up the results. They measure how many drops you use to figure up the results. With one of my test it's 1 drop = 1 dkh.

My last test took 9 drop to change color so it was 9 dkh. Which is just fine.

The alk is a buffer for you ph. I helps to keep you ph stable. A low alk. can lead to sudden ph changes.

What's your ph btw?

OP
pep372

pep372

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Aw!!! now I get what you are saying, yes I meant .8=8 drops so the chart said 3.2 ph is 8.4-8.6 you know the colors are so close, lighting ect.... I feel like Im guessing between the two. LOL same with ammonia. How long should this take to cycle I have had it running five days (I know this is to soon) 65gl. with live rock 65lb. and live sand. Some hermit crabs hitched a ride on the rock and all four are still alive, the ammonia is green one of the two below the zero once again so close guessing.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not sure if 1 drop is equal to .1 ml. In my test it's measured in drops. In your test it's measured in ml.

On your pH test if it's between the two colors then it's most likely 8.5.

I understand what your saying about the test. I feel like a lot of it is best guest also. One of my test for nitrate the 5 and 10 ppm are the exact same color.

If you starting to show ammonia then your tank is just starting to cycle. What for it to come down and nitrites to come up next. Then nitrites should come down and nitrates come up. Once ammonia and nitrites are back at 0ppm then it's cycled.

OP
pep372

pep372

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
okay will do!! so how is it the hermit crabs can live through this cycle? I am still trying to figure out the light timer on my max 250 this tank is nice but that timer looks like nasa invented it.
the skimmer is still pushing water out along with bubbles I adjust it all the time, but I don't seem to be able to keep the collection cup from having very wet bubbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 59 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.8%

Top Bottom