Reading test results question

Koldaar
When using the API Master test kit, do you place the test tube against the test card? Or do you pull it away from the card a bit? I notice that when the tube touches the card it's darker than when it's not touching. It's mostly an issue with the nitrate readings since the colors are so similar.

Junne
I have the same issues - I pull it away a bit. The colors are not too distinct in that range. I find myself always estimating at the higher number. I wish they had some way of going digital. I would buy it

Koldaar
It could be 20ppm one way or 40ppm the other.

Matt B
According to the manufacturer you should hold the tube in direct contact with the card. The nitrates always bother me, it looks like the same exact color for multiple different readings. Like Junne said, just estimate the higher value to be safe. Also, lighting can play a big role in how it looks, try looking in different lighting. Additionally hold the card upside down so your not paying attention to the values only the colors (learned that one from a member here)

Junne
I always have my son interpret it for me as a "Second" opinion. Its often difficult but luckily, haven't had to deal with Nitrates in that range for awhile.

Matt B
I always have my son interpret it for me as a "Second" opinion. Its often difficult but luckily, haven't had to deal with Nitrates in that range for awhile.
That's funny, I always look and see what I think and then give it to my wife for her to look. Normally we both have the same answer so it makes me more confident in the reading

soarl
I have the same troubles and I always have my daughter check them for me again. I never thought about holding the card upside down...might give that a try.

Junne
That's funny, I always look and see what I think and then give it to my wife for her to look. Normally we both have the same answer so it makes me more confident in the reading

Yeah surprisingly, we come out pretty close too! I always say that things look different in a childs eye so I often ask his opinion on things just to hear what his answer is. Quite surprising at times!

Tigress Hill
Oh that doesn't work for me! When I ask my sister what color the NitrItes are, she says pink

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mongo75
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
stephpartin
Replies
Views