Read This-cruel Betta Cups

FishAddictFamily

Reaction score
What if one time in our lives we all stopped complaining and took action collectively and it actually made a difference. I have read forum after forum and comments in the thousands about the betta treatment in PetSmart. Let’s fix it

Below is the number or email address for PetSmart customer service/complaints email is possibly for corporate

Voice your opinions !!
Tell them how we all feel about the cruel cups the disgustingly tiny half gallon tanks they sell marketed for betta fish. One call may not matter but hundreds in a short period definitely will push the issue into their radar.

So speak up and and share !
IMG_8108.jpg

Attachments

WinterSoldier.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmmph at my petsmart they sell one quart cups for a permanent home. Its bad enough selling them in tiny cups but worse marketing a atrociously small container

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
These betta cups are temporary fixes, people not buying an aquarium for the fish is the real problem. If you think about it, it’s like your water heater broke and you have to live in a hotel for a bit, your not gonna be there forever, it’s just more efficient. If your really upset about these cups then you should also be upset with every fish store ever that doesn’t sell wild caught fish. Outside of betas, other fish are order by the hundred in gallon sized bags and shipped overseas. How is this ok and betta cups aren’t. The pets mart I usually visit actively changes the fish’s water and medicates any sick fish that come in. It comes down to the numbers, it’s more economically reasonable to sell them in small cups. How much more would it be to give a single fish a gallon of water temporarily compared to 16 oz temporarily?

DillonPhoenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but they wouldn't care if they got a thousand complaints as long as people keep buying their fish or "saving them" as I see so many people say! The people who go there and feel sorry for the poor fish in the cups and end up buying them are only contributing to the problem and that poor fish they bought will soon be replaced by another sad fishie.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
These betta cups are temporary fixes, people not buying an aquarium for the fish is the real problem. If you think about it, it’s like your water heater broke and you have to live in a hotel for a bit, your not gonna be there forever, it’s just more efficient. If your really upset about these cups then you should also be upset with every fish store ever that doesn’t sell wild caught fish. Outside of betas, other fish are order by the hundred in gallon sized bags and shipped overseas. How is this ok and betta cups aren’t. The pets mart I usually visit actively changes the fish’s water and medicates any sick fish that come in. It comes down to the numbers, it’s more economically reasonable to sell them in small cups. How much more would it be to give a single fish a gallon of water temporarily compared to 16 oz temporarily?
That is a good point. I agree that the real issue is selling tiny "tanks" and telling customers bettas (or any other fish) don't need heaters, filters, or a large aquarium. I'm sure the cups contribute to the misconception that bettas can thrive in tiny aquariums. Every fish store i have been to has those cups. Heck, the LFS closest to me sells disgustingly small "aquariums" for bettas as well. I'm talking these things hold two or three times the amount of water in a betta cup. It's not a problem limited to chain stores.

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That is a good point. I agree that the real issue is selling tiny "tanks" and telling customers bettas (or any other fish) don't need heaters, filters, or a large aquarium. I'm sure the cups contribute to the misconception that bettas can thrive in tiny aquariums. Every fish store i have been to has those cups. Heck, the LFS closest to me sells disgustingly small "aquariums" for bettas as well. I'm talking these things hold two or three times the amount of water in a betta cup. It's not a problem limited to chain stores.
I honestly think the real problem is the tank sizes they recommend such as 40 gallons for an Oscar. I’m sorry no. At least 75 to 125

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The betta is the most mistreated fish in the hobby. Everyone is allways talking about the fast fish chains (petco,petsmart...) but I see them in those little cups in every pets store I go into. Even the ones that don’t sell fish. The only way to stop it would be to stop buying them. Make them unpopular. 50% of the members names here have betta in it. As long as people are buying them there selling them. Forever they’ve been what brings people into the hobby. They used to cost a buck or you could win them at the fair (like goldfish today). Now they actually have people spending $50+ on them!!! Why would they stop selling them??

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, they could get people to spend more money on them if they informed customers about minimum tank sizes and decent equipment. Though, maybe then not as many people would buy them.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sadly, my first betta (walmart) was stuck in a vase with a plant growing in it cuz I thought it looked cool. I did weekly water changes and no chems or filters and that betta lived a long unhappy life, Im sure. Its not just Petsmart, or Walmart...its also the decorating industry, and jeezus! They sell fridge bubble magnets that advertise for bettas! Its nuts! Its not the companies you go after...its the breeders. Like puppy/kitten mills....walmart stopped selling furries cuz of the abuses....

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Honestly, if some forum users stop buying bettas, it isn't going to make a difference. You still have little kids with parents who want a cute bowl with cute plants and decor. Some of them are stubborn, you try talking them into something bigger and they get mad, thankfully this hasn't happened to me yet.
As for the breeders, well true breeders in Asian countries keep them in water bottles and jars. When you have so many bettas, you can't bother with a tank for every fish. I saw one man who had thousands of bettas, they were all kept in a makeshift greenhouse, swimming inside a water bottles cut in half.
I will never stop buying pet store bettas, because I know nothing will change, at least not for a very long time. These petstores don't care about what some animal activists thinks, they care about money. If a person can buy a bowl, some decor, and a fish. Cool. If the fish dies, they go out and get another...and when that one dies they get another one. The cycle keeps going until the person becomes educated, tries a billion other things, or gives up. Pet stores don't like customers who know what they are doing, because that means less money.
Now, they are hiring better employees, at least from what I have seen, but you don't always have the fish person working the floor everyday, all the time.
I've seen threads similar to this and that is just what I have seen and believe. We need to educate strangers who have a bowl and a fish in check out. I chased a woman to her car when I saw she had two goldfish and a bowl. She explained to me it was a temporary thing for her kids and if they liked it she would get a bugger tank. I stopped a family from trying to breed bettas. Sometimes we just have to tell people, whether they like it or not. Educate the public, corporate doesn't care what you think. (it's harsh but true lol)

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The betta is the most mistreated fish in the hobby. Everyone is allways talking about the fast fish chains (petco,petsmart...) but I see them in those little cups in every pets store I go into. Even the ones that don’t sell fish. The only way to stop it would be to stop buying them. Make them unpopular. 50% of the members names here have betta in it. As long as people are buying them there selling them. Forever they’ve been what brings people into the hobby. They used to cost a buck or you could win them at the fair (like goldfish today). Now they actually have people spending $50+ on them!!! Why would they stop selling them??
Good points there, but I honestly I feel that goldfish are way more mistreated. Your common everyday goldfish is usually a comet goldfish which needs about 40 gallons. These people with bowls and gold fish are the real cruel peoplw

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Honestly, if some forum users stop buying bettas, it isn't going to make a difference. You still have little kids with parents who want a cute bowl with cute plants and decor. Some of them are stubborn, you try talking them into something bigger and they get mad, thankfully this hasn't happened to me yet.
As for the breeders, well true breeders in Asian countries keep them in water bottles and jars. When you have so many bettas, you can't bother with a tank for every fish. I saw one man who had thousands of bettas, they were all kept in a makeshift greenhouse, swimming inside a water bottles cut in half.
I will never stop buying pet store bettas, because I know nothing will change, at least not for a very long time. These petstores don't care about what some animal activists thinks, they care about money. If a person can buy a bowl, some decor, and a fish. Cool. If the fish dies, they go out and get another...and when that one dies they get another one. The cycle keeps going until the person becomes educated, tries a billion other things, or gives up. Pet stores don't like customers who know what they are doing, because that means less money.
Now, they are hiring better employees, at least from what I have seen, but you don't always have the fish person working the floor everyday, all the time.
I've seen threads similar to this and that is just what I have seen and believe. We need to educate strangers who have a bowl and a fish in check out. I chased a woman to her car when I saw she had two goldfish and a bowl. She explained to me it was a temporary thing for her kids and if they liked it she would get a bugger tank. I stopped a family from trying to breed bettas. Sometimes we just have to tell people, whether they like it or not. Educate the public, corporate doesn't care what you think. (it's harsh but true lol)
Yep, when I informed a walmart employee that fiddler crabs arent a “freshwater submersible crab” he argued with me. Lots and lots of abused animals out there...and sadder still fiddlers are stolen out their optimal habitat to be sold in pet store, so its not just Bettas...the whole industry should be shut down ....but its not possible. So when you buy a betta, and give it a good home...just remember you “rescued” it from a 5 year old. And lets face it...many of us fell in love with the aquarium because of our first abused betta or goldfish.

JadeMau

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sadly, my first betta (walmart) was stuck in a vase with a plant growing in it cuz I thought it looked cool. I did weekly water changes and no chems or filters and that betta lived a long unhappy life, Im sure. Its not just Petsmart, or Walmart...its also the decorating industry, and jeezus! They sell fridge bubble magnets that advertise for bettas! Its nuts! Its not the companies you go after...its the breeders. Like puppy/kitten mills....walmart stopped selling furries cuz of the abuses....
I wish Walmart would stop selling animals, period. At least at most pet stores, while I won't say they always take great care of them at all, the animals, in theory, are priority, they are within site at least. In Walmart the Bettas are shoved in a dirty corner in the deep recesses of the store, and I DOUBT anyone is remotely trained. There's never ANYONE there that I can see monitoring the fish...

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yep, when I informed a walmart employee that fiddler crabs arent a “freshwater submersible crab” he argued with me. Lots and lots of abused animals out there...and sadder still fiddlers are stolen out their optimal habitat to be sold in pet store, so its not just Bettas...the whole industry should be shut down ....but its not possible. So when you buy a betta, and give it a good home...just remember you “rescued” it from a 5 year old. And lets face it...many of us fell in love with the aquarium because of our first abused betta or goldfish.
I would never buy a wild caught fish, I would feel awful taking them from wide open spaces and cramming them into tank. Leave it to the professional fishkeepers to breed them and bring the numbers back, I am happy with my betta and snails. I did tell one Walmart employee about a betta that had turtle food in it because the container was ripped open and next to the cup. She seemed worried and said she would get to it. Well I stalked around the area and I did see her come to the rescue a few minutes later. I always try to separate the cups at Walmart and put decor between them. I will only buy bettas at Petco because they keep dividers between their cups.
I have done many high school papers on animal welfare, so I have my fair share of knowledge about animal abuse lol.
Highly recommend reading:
Dominion by Matthew Scully
Last Chain on Billie by Carol Bradley
Animal Madness by Laurel Braitman
What A Fish Knows by Jonathan Balcombe (working on that one right now)
But now I am getting side tracked from the thread so I shall stop lol

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
The problem isn’t people who know fish. I genuinely like bettas as a fish I find them super interactive and very pretty. They are a great show piece for a 10 or 15g. The problem is marketing them so children want them. If parents and people in general knew they should be kept In 5g+ they wouldn’t be over sold and over bred. Veil tail genes suck these days because of how inbred and awful they are.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The problem isn’t people who know fish. I genuinely like bettas as a fish I find them super interactive and very pretty. They are a great show piece for a 10 or 15g. The problem is marketing them so children want them. If parents and people in general knew they should be kept In 5g+ they wouldn’t be over sold and over bred. Veil tail genes suck these days because of how inbred and awful they are.
Every betta gene is awful now and days lol even other fish have been so overbred and inbred to where they could never survive in the conditions people kept them in years and years ago. It's sad. More about the money and looks rather than good genes and a healthy fish.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Its not unlike Labradors or other popular breeds of dogs in reality. Its all about the all mighty dollar and the value goes down and down and down.
Ive never seen a walmart betta as beautiful as ones ive seen on this forum. I just assumed they are the bottom of the barrel trash betta and noones beautiful betta here was ever bought at a walmart.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would never buy a wild caught fish, I would feel awful taking them from wide open spaces and cramming them into tank. Leave it to the professional fishkeepers to breed them and bring the numbers back, I am happy with my betta and snails. I did tell one Walmart employee about a betta that had turtle food in it because the container was ripped open and next to the cup. She seemed worried and said she would get to it. Well I stalked around the area and I did see her come to the rescue a few minutes later. I always try to separate the cups at Walmart and put decor between them. I will only buy bettas at Petco because they keep dividers between their cups.
I have done many high school papers on animal welfare, so I have my fair share of knowledge about animal abuse lol.
Highly recommend reading:
Dominion by Matthew Scully
Last Chain on Billie by Carol Bradley
Animal Madness by Laurel Braitman
What A Fish Knows by Jonathan Balcombe (working on that one right now)
But now I am getting side tracked from the thread so I shall stop lol
I dont mind collecting fiddlers as pets, not exactly endangered...but how they sell them...with all the wrong perameters is what drives me nuts.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Every betta gene is awful now and days lol even other fish have been so overbred and inbred to where they could never survive in the conditions people kept them in years and years ago. It's sad. More about the money and looks rather than good genes and a healthy fish.
That’s true, but color sells better. You see it here all the time “what colorful centerpiece can go in this tank?”. Most people would choose a colorful fish over a wild type color.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom