Help Read Please, Losing Fish

BrandonDFN

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon aquarium with 6 GloFish Tetras and 1 GloFish Shark

The past 3 months two fish have died and another one is on its way to death shortly and a few other fish. I went to the pet store a couple months ago and they told me I have high nitrates, I purchased Prime by Seachem to help with the nitrates and Bacterial Infection Remedy for my fish, that didn’t seem to work so I was told to buy Parasite Remedy because that’s what the pet store thought was wrong with my fish and here I am 3 months later with no improvement and my fish are getting worse every day. I have done many more water changes since.

Please someone help me diagnose and treat my fish.

I would like to mention that sometimes there is Red small spots on the fish (they look like small cuts) it happens when another fish is starting to get this disease or when it’s spreading to another area on the fish then the red spot disappears shortly after and ends up looking like this in the pictures [GloFish Pictures](https://i.imgur.com/cQntiEo.jpg)

Burnout1620

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you have your own test kit or are you relying on the pet store to test your water? It would help to know the rest of your parameters and how and when you cycled your tank.

Seachem prime won’t do anything for nitrates. The only way to reduce them is regular water changes. If you’re keeping up with those, your nitrates should be in check. Also, in moderate quantities nitrates are not toxic to your fish.

It’s tough to try and diagnose what’s ailing your fish from pictures. I’m far from an expert on diseases. An anti-parasitic medication like Seachem Paraguard would be a good place to start.

Dirzo90

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sometimes excessive feeding can cause high readings. Just wondering if that was why you were having high nitrates. Having your own test kit at home is your best bet.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did the fish store sell you an API master test kit by any chance, if not you would benefit from having one! It would help greatly if you fill out the diagnosis sheet with your PH and perimeters etc. As Diroz90 suggested overfeeding will raise your nitrates, do you have a vacuum to clean your gravel before your water changes?

BrandonDFN

Reaction score
Did the fish store sell you an API master test kit by any chance, if not you would benefit from having one! It would help greatly if you fill out the diagnosis sheet with your PH and perimeters etc. As Diroz90 suggested overfeeding will raise your nitrates, do you have a vacuum to clean your gravel before your water changes?
Yes, I have a vacuum to clean my gravel every water change

Do you have your own test kit or are you relying on the pet store to test your water? It would help to know the rest of your parameters and how and when you cycled your tank.

Seachem prime won’t do anything for nitrates. The only way to reduce them is regular water changes. If you’re keeping up with those, your nitrates should be in check. Also, in moderate quantities nitrates are not toxic to your fish.

It’s tough to try and diagnose what’s ailing your fish from pictures. I’m far from an expert on diseases. An anti-parasitic medication like Seachem Paraguard would be a good place to start.
No, I do not have my own test kit

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You need to buy the api master test kit. This kit will tell you and us what’s going on with your water. If it’s high nitrates they could be coming from your tap water. But again you need to test your water for us to help.
You don’t have a lot of fish so your nitrates should be alright. What type of filter are you using? How often do you do regular water changes?

BrandonDFN

Reaction score
You need to buy the api master test kit. This kit will tell you and us what’s going on with your water. If it’s high nitrates they could be coming from your tap water. But again you need to test your water for us to help.
You don’t have a lot of fish so your nitrates should be alright. What type of filter are you using? How often do you do regular water changes?
Im using a Aqueon Quiet Flow E Internal Power Filter and I do water changes twice a week 25% or 50% each time and I have done 75% water changes because a lady at the pet store said it would be a good idea. I have had this tank running for 2 years by the way and someone told me the spots and marks on the fish look like scrapes or battle wounds from the glofish shark but to be honest I dont think so because why would there be big white spots on her fins and it looks like something is stuck onto her bottom fin on the left and the side of her looks like scrapes ina way but it looks very similar to the thing on her bottom fin

Im using a Aqueon Quiet Flow E Internal Power Filter and I do water changes twice a week 25% or 50% each time and I have done 75% water changes because a lady at the pet store said it would be a good idea. I have had this tank running for 2 years by the way and someone told me the spots and marks on the fish look like scrapes or battle wounds from the glofish shark but to be honest I dont think so because why would there be big white spots on her fins and it looks like something is stuck onto her bottom fin on the left in the picture and the side of her looks like scrapes ina way but it looks very similar to the thing on her bottom fin. i can show you a video if that might help

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure how much water that filter moves. But you need to be filtering about 150-200gph in that tank. Your water change schedule is great so if high nitrates it may be from your tap water. But again you need to get a good test kit. APIs is about $25 on eBay. It’s just guessing without a test kit. And using meds when it could be a water problem will just make matters worse.

BrandonDFN

Reaction score
Not sure how much water that filter moves. But you need to be filtering about 150-200gph in that tank. Your water change schedule is great so if high nitrates it may be from your tap water. But again you need to get a good test kit. APIs is about $25 on eBay. It’s just guessing without a test kit. And using meds when it could be a water problem will just make matters worse.
Do you know anyone on the site who may be able t tell me what this could be in this picture that’s causing my fish to die and how to treat it? I am buying a test kit within the next couple days as well. I will pay someone if they can help me with this thanks!
5F152D4E-A34C-480C-8251-D7AA732BE0B0.jpeg

21B64E6A-C0D1-4E04-83F7-A6DE036AA747.jpeg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m not sure what it is. It looks like some type of poisoning or ammonia burn. Let’s see some pictures of the tank and what’s in it. Decorations and other stuff. Again you need that test kit so we have an idea what’s up with your water. The pics may help if we see something that doesn’t belong.

BrandonDFN

Reaction score
I’m not sure what it is. It looks like some type of poisoning or ammonia burn. Let’s see some pictures of the tank and what’s in it. Decorations and other stuff. Again you need that test kit so we have an idea what’s up with your water. The pics may help if we see something that doesn’t belong.
43D48909-FB1E-44B8-ACE8-0EA833A95A55.jpeg
BA1528C4-0414-4785-AE04-E79A7DE19D67.jpeg
D91FDA65-9D44-4AAE-900C-D40DF0CFBB04.jpeg
1A5CE3B2-0BBC-47ED-B4DB-F85F0830DFA2.jpeg

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good photo's Brandon. This is only a guess but I see you have a Red Tailed Shark or Rainbow Shark in with the Glow Fish. I've read that after a period the sharks can become aggressive if other fish are in their territory. Your tank isn't highly planted so the other fish can't hide and I'm wondering if this might be the reason for the blood spots on them... either trying to get away or being attacked? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There doesn't look like the Glowfish have anywhere to hide, like a hollow log or just heavy planting that they can use to protect themselves

I agree with Elkwatcher, I think that shark is the issue here, he sees that entire tank as his territory and the other fish are easy prey for him to beat up.

I would definitely suggest more planting and at least one swim through ornament and/or hollow log type ornament that the fish can take refuge in when the shark is being aggressive

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom