Read a pistol shrimp broke a guys tank??

Raideress

Reaction score
i was reading a post online about a guy claiming a pistol shrimp cracked the base of his tank one night and they woke to find a near empty tank and fish stuck out of water, was thinking about a pistol shrimp and goby, but my 20 gallon tank only is 5mm glass :O

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
First case I have ever heard of a pistol. Now a Mantis is a different story.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I’ll bet the ID was wrong or he didn’t know he had a mantis shrimp. The other thing is the tank could have broken by no fault of the pistol shrimp and the noise it makes could lead the guy to believe it was the pistol shrimp. I don’t even think a pistol shrimp is capable of breaking glass since they don’t break shells like mantis shrimp do. I think this is a case of mis-ID or wrongfully accused. I’ll be this poor pistol shrimps court appointed lawyer!!

OP
Raideress

Raideress

Reaction score
i did think it seemed unlikely, but made me rethink that just incase as i dont want a flood in my lounge room or electrocuted kids or dogs

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah I’m going to agree with the other two. There should be no way it could break the glass, the “punch” if you want to call it that is to mostly stun their prey. Though larger ones may be able to, pistol shrimp usually never reach that size in aquariums.

FreshwaterFins99

Reaction score
Mantis shrimp are powerful enough to break glass but I doubt a pistol could. I wouldn’t stress about it.

I think I saw the article you are talking about. Was it the one on some seahorse website?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom