re tank readings

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wane1680, Mar 23, 2010.

1. w

wane1680 New Member Member

hi all i hope there some one that can help i just brought a tank 4ft in size i installed it all as i brought it from shop all new pump filter etc i was all excited about putting fish in it then went and brought 50 quids worth of fish 2 days after filling it up i was not aware you had to run it in etc and the pet shop never told me either but still sold me the fish as you can guess i lost alot of fish through this wot i need is the best tank readings on ph nitrate etc for this tank i have a interneal elite filter also have pump in the tank at the moment i have a x1 guppy x4 gold gourami x2cosby gourami x6 mollies x3 shrimp i have a master water test kit so best readings on the type of test would be great

2. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

when you take the readings you want ammonia to be a reading of 0.

Without cycling your tank you are going to need to do water changes frequently.

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    In a properly cycled tank, the readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and around 10 nitrates.
    pH, as long as it is stable from tap to tank is usually ok is the fish are acclimated slowly. Although there are some that are pH sensitive.

4. OP
    OP
    w

wane1680 New Member Member

hi ive done my tank reading and i got the following readings high range ph 7.4 ph 7.6 nitrate 5.0 ammonia 0.25 and nitrite 0ppm could any one tell me if these readings are ok i understand the ammoonia should be 0 and is a little high but then tank as only been cycled with fish in for 6 or 7 weeks

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

With the elevated ammonia you should do daily water changes with Prime until your ammonia drops back to zero. Everything else looks okay.

It's a little odd that the low range ph test is reading higher than the high range ph test, but I guess that you can assume a ph of 7.5 (which is fine).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice