Re-stocking my tank, thoughts? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by klogue2, Dec 15, 2012.

1. klogue2

klogue2Valued MemberMember

I'm just not happy with my current stock and the LFS I got my fish from said they will do a trade if I'd like, plus a partial payment. I suppose if I'm going to own an aquarium I should be enjoying it, which I don't really enjoy the fish I have at the moment. There just seems like so much empty space, and not enough activity to really be my preference. I hope you guys don't see me as a bad person for that!

I'd really like to do a tank with at least two schools of different fish if that's ok, I'm not too sure if multiple schools would be a problem.

Here's what I know I want:

Albino Corys (maybe 5?)
    Cardinal Tetras (looking towards 8 if size allows; may go for neon tetras instead)

Now the question is of how many of each, and what else can I/should I add. I'd really like to fill out my tank as much as I can while still maintaining happy fish. Some things I've considered are:

A breeding pair of guppies (my LFS said if I wanted to try breeding them just once they'd take the extra babies I don't keep off my hands, I'll end up keeping only males afterwards if I do)
    Zebra Danios
    Rummy Nose Tetra
    Cherry Barbs (I'm not sure if all barbs are semi/aggressive so not even sure about this one, but I like them nonetheless)
    Tiger Barbs (these would be a species only stock, though I think my tank is too small for a school of these?)

One other question is, if I ditch the corys does that reduce the bioload a lot or a little? Meaning if I don't do corys, would there be quite a bit of left over room for other fish (not bottom feeders)? I may be interested in some shrimp if the stock I choose won't eat them.

Some things about my tank:
    Aquaclear 50 HOB filter (Approx 200GPH)
    Aqua-Tech 5-15g HOB filter (approx 125GPH)
    Fluval M submersible heater
    Mostly fake plants, a little bit of floating anacharis. Before I re-stock I plan to add more live plants
    29 gallons
    cycled for about 2, maybe 2-1/2 months (my memory fails me)

2. CodyJ

CodyJValued MemberMember

Um I have a albino Corys their a great fish you could get some bleeding heart tetra and maybe some red wag platys or Mickey mouse plattys or even not and maybe a bristlenose pleco and maybe some zebra danios

3. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Thanks for the reply! I've seen the bleeding heart tetras before and they never really caught my eye, maybe just because I had skipped over them. When I look at the pictures on Google however they are rather pretty fish. Thank you for the suggestions, a bristlenose sounds interesting :) I've heard they can live in a 29g due to their small size.

4. CodyJ

CodyJValued MemberMember

No problem :;scuba can u show a pic of the tank

5. Skysong87Valued MemberMember

Generally in a 29g you can do 3 schools of small fish (eg cories, cherry barbs, tetras) as well as 1 centrepiece fish (such as dwarf gourami, honey gourami, German blue ram or gold/electric blue ram varieties).

6. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. My camera is bugging out on me so I can't get a picture today, I'll mess around with it more later to see what's wrong though and hopefully get you a picture.

I think I've decided on a stocking plan, let me know what you guys think, especially if it looks overstocked!

6 Albino Cory Cats
    6-8 Cardinal Tetras/Neon Tetras (depending on what the lfs has in stock)
    ? Guppies (A lady offered me her guppies in exchange for some of my current stock, said there's at least 10 plus some babies so not sure how many guppies I'll keep)
    1 Dwarf Gourami

I'd love to do a GBR instead of the gourami however I was told they need a well established tank, mine's only been cycled for about 2-1/2 months.

7. CodyJ

CodyJValued MemberMember

That sounds great good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice