Re-scaping my tank (15 gallon) - any advice?

SuspiciouslyFishy

I am planning to re-scape my 15 gallon, which has been running since May and had fish in it since July.
I will be doing a lot in the tank, I will be shifting and removing some substrate, as I want to add depth and the substrate is already relatively deep (3 inches) so I don't want to add any more. Almost all the decor is being exchanged. All the plants will be uprooted.
So, I was wondering if anyone here had done this before and had any advice for how to keep the fish safe and least stressed, and how to generally make the process easier?
And also, any tips for catching fish? Should I remove all the decor and plants before or after doing that? Should I catch them at all?

Cinabar

It would be better if you put all the fish into a temporary tank while redecorating their home. To catch tricky fish: remove all decor and plants, leaving a bare tank. Drain the water until there’s no more than four inches of water left (more or less depending on the size of your fish). The point is, you need it to be shallow. Use a large net to get underneath the fish, then scoop upwards towards the surface. For some reason they never expect the net to be below them haha. You gotta be quick though, they might figure you out.

SuspiciouslyFishy

I was thinking that they would just go into a bucket with their filter and a heater for the duration of the work... because I will be starting the scaping/setting up on my second tank (which will be a 7.5 gallon) at the same time.
All the substrate, plants and most of the decor that is being moved from the first tank will be going into the second tank.
All my fish are quite small and fast, I have 8 neon tetras and 2 otocinclus (I will get more otos, but decided to wait on that until after the re-scape is done, and the second tank is set up), so thank you a lot for the advice!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishyChris
Replies
Views
Cyclsnipas
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views