Re-scape the whole aquarium and what are the consequences?

Chiasmodon

I just want to ask several things regarding re-scaping the aquarium.

1. Can I just remove all the plants?
2. Can I just remove 25% of the water during re-scaping? or remove all of them?
3. My aquarium is large, it's 52 gallons, it has a metal stand, it has a rim around its bottom but there is nothing to support the bottom wholly, so I put a Plywood underneath, Is this enough to support the bottom when in case I put large Rocks?. yesterday, there is an earthquake and my Tank went bananas but hopefully it's only a minor earthquake and did not cause any damage.
4. Should I remove the fishes and invertebrates and put them in another container or, just leave them be inside the Tank during re-scaping. and if in case, I will put them into a container (if you think it's a good idea to suggest) how many days they should stay there?
5. should I remove some plants? I have 16 species of plants.

the date that I planned to re-scape my tank is in April or later in March. Your suggestions will greatly help me to understand more about re-scaping and keeping my fish safe while doing so.

by the way, these are 2 pictures of my tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_104629.jpg
    IMG_20210218_104629.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20210222_231153.jpg
    IMG_20210222_231153.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 50

Tramsdell

I don't know what you are asking. Are you asking if you should reshape early because of an earthquake?

If you have plywood or other hard flat surface under the PERIMETER of the tank then it is properly supported. Rocks inside don't matter as long as you have a substrate down. The biggest mass in the tank is the water. When you reshape you should do it quickly and keep everything you want to reuse in water. Keeping it wet will increase the amount of bacteria that survive the process. If you are going to be a few days you may want to feed the bacteria.

Upvote 0

Ouse

What makes you want to change it?

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

What makes you want to change it?
Well.. my plants really need some space...from each other.. they are too close to each other..

Upvote 0

Ouse

If they really need it then I can’t say you shouldn’t rescape.

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

I don't know what you are asking. Are you asking if you should reshape early because of an earthquake?

If you have plywood or other hard flat surface under the PERIMETER of the tank then it is properly supported. Rocks inside don't matter as long as you have a substrate down. The biggest mass in the tank is the water. When you reshape you should do it quickly and keep everything you want to reuse in water. Keeping it wet will increase the amount of bacteria that survive the process. If you are going to be a few days you may want to feed the bacteria.
Ty for the clarification about the plywood, now I'm confident about putting larger rocks.
the earthquake has a thing to do with the stand.. and it scares me. Ok so what I'm thinking right now is that I'm going to remove the 25% water from the tank while using a siphon vacuum (while removing waste from the gravel), then I will remove all the plants, then the rocks in my aquarium will be replaced by larger rocks afterward when I finished cleaning the tank. the fish will stay in the tank while I'm cleaning the gravel ( if that's ok, please tell me). then the re-aquascaping starts. I have Biomedia so the bacteria should be fine.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Yes it’s a good idea to rearrange the scape during a big clean. Maybe do a bit more than 25%, perhaps 50% if you can.

Upvote 0

Tramsdell

I consider a rescape to include moving gravel around and I generally remove fish and do a 95 percent change. I just leave enough water to make the substrate stay put

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

Yes it’s a good idea to rearrange the scape during a big clean. Maybe do a bit more than 25%, perhaps 50% if you can.

Ok, then 50% should do fine. It will be done in a day. I have a hose and everything in removing and adding water.

.. however, wouldn't my fish experience any stress?

Upvote 0

Ouse

It’s essentially a big water change with a shuffle around of old and new decorations. The fish might stress a bit but should be nothing too bad.

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

[/QUOTE]
I consider a rescape to include moving gravel around and I generally remove fish and do a 95 percent change. I just leave enough water to make the substrate stay put
[/QUOTE]

My tank is cycled and I don't want many beneficial bacteria to be removed. soooo only 50%

Upvote 0

Ouse

Water changes don’t remove bacteria but I agree with doing 50%.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Don't think you need to re-scape....If the plants are crowded you can just pull them out and replant them

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

Don't think you need to re-scape...If the plants are crowded you can just pull them out and replant them
there are some decorations that are also occupying large areas and these are nearby plants, my plan is to put only a few decorations and few plants so the aquarium will be having spaces and easy to clean also. I just realized how wrong of what I have done, I can't even use my siphon vacuum in several places because they are mostly occupied by rocks and plants. the width of my aquarium is only 14 inches.. and I added too many plants and decorations. if I have a larger aquarium than what I have right now, then there is no problem in pulling the plants and replanting them. I forgot to include the problem with the rocks and the width of my aquarium. I should be doing my calculations before setting a tank.

Water changes don’t remove bacteria but I agree with doing 50%.
Ok then, ty for this suggestion.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

there are some decorations that are also occupying large areas and these are nearby plants, my plan is to put only a few decorations and few plants so the aquarium will be having spaces and easy to clean also. I just realized how wrong of what I have done, I can't even use my siphon vacuum in several places because they are mostly occupied by rocks and plants. the width of my aquarium is only 14 inches.. and I added too many plants and decorations. if I have a larger aquarium than what I have right now, then there is no problem in pulling the plants and replanting them.

Ok then, ty for this suggestion.

This really comes down to your goals...a healthy plant is always growing so eventually there will be spots too dense to vacuum. So in the end, do you want a densely planted tank that's hard to vacuum or a lightly planted tank that's easy to vacuum?

Just fyi, I never vacuum my tanks and I prefer the heavy planting low maintenance route

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

This really comes down to your goals...a healthy plant is always growing so eventually there will be spots too dense to vacuum. So in the end, do you want a densely planted tank that's hard to vacuum or a lightly planted tank that's easy to vacuum?

Just fyi, I never vacuum my tanks and I prefer the heavy planting low maintenance route
I would want a lightly planted tank so It's easy to clean. I really don't like waste building up over time. I will show you the results after I completely re-scape my tank. and by the way, why would you prefer the heavy planting low maintenance route?

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I would want a lightly planted tank so It's easy to clean. I really don't like waste building up over time. I will show you the results after I completely re-scape my tank. and by the way, why would you prefer the heavy planting low maintenance route?

Mostly because I've found fish do well in heavily planted tanks and the bonus is I don't have to do any cleaning so less work for me! Less work and healthy fish....two birds with one stone

Upvote 0

FishyChris

I just want to ask several things regarding re-scaping the aquarium.

1. Can I just remove all the plants?
2. Can I just remove 25% of the water during re-scaping? or remove all of them?
3. My aquarium is large, it's 52 gallons, it has a metal stand, it has a rim around its bottom but there is nothing to support the bottom wholly, so I put a Plywood underneath, Is this enough to support the bottom when in case I put large Rocks?. yesterday, there is an earthquake and my Tank went bananas but hopefully it's only a minor earthquake and did not cause any damage.
4. Should I remove the fishes and invertebrates and put them in another container or, just leave them be inside the Tank during re-scaping. and if in case, I will put them into a container (if you think it's a good idea to suggest) how many days they should stay there?
5. should I remove some plants? I have 16 species of plants.

the date that I planned to re-scape my tank is in April or later in March. Your suggestions will greatly help me to understand more about re-scaping and keeping my fish safe while doing so.

by the way, these are 2 pictures of my tank.
What are you planning to do ? Move substrate and redo the whole hardscape? Or just moving some stuff and adding/removing plants?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I would just carefully remove the stones and vacuum the gravel/sand really good then put the new in and re plant your plants. When you dig around in the tank you should do a bigger water change. 50-75% There may be stuff you stir up when moving things. You are going to lose more bb taking out the current decor than taking out extra water.

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

What are you planning to do ? Move substrate and redo the whole hardscape? Or just moving some stuff and adding/removing plants?
just remove the rocks and some plants then add new larger rocks and then re-scape. No substrate will be moved or will be removed.
I would just carefully remove the stones and vacuum the gravel/sand really good then put the new in and replant your plants. When you dig around in the tank you should do a bigger water change. 50-75% There may be stuff you stir up when moving things. You are going to lose more bb taking out the current decor than taking out extra water.
I will only remove the rocks and some plants. the substrate will stay. 50-75% water change?, I mean.. as I said before, I'm removing 50%(as CrustyDusty suggested) water using a siphon vacuum ( I have a DIY), and while doing so, I'm also removing the waste from the gravel (that is building up) with the siphon vacuum until I remove half of the tank water. the Driftwood and the substrate will stay.
Mostly because I've found fish do well in heavily planted tanks and the bonus is I don't have to do any cleaning so less work for me! Less work and healthy fish....two birds with one stone
Oooh, Natural habitat for fish.. that's good. I might as well get a new larger tank in the future and build a heavily planted tank hahaha. btw my plants are still growing sooo if they grew more then the aquarium would look nice. ofc, I will still want some spaces between plants in my tank.

Upvote 0

FishyChris

just remove the rocks and some plants then add new larger rocks and then re-scape. No substrate will be moved or will be removed.

I will only remove the rocks and some plants. the substrate will stay. 50-75% water change?, I mean.. as I said before, I'm removing 50%(as CrustyDusty suggested) water using a siphon vacuum ( I have a DIY), and while doing so, I'm also removing the waste from the gravel (that is building up) with the siphon vacuum until I remove half of the tank water. the Driftwood and the substrate will stay.

Oooh, Natural habitat for fish.. that's good. I might as well get a new larger tank in the future and build a heavily planted tank hahaha. btw my plants are still growing sooo if they grew more then the aquarium would look nice. ofc, I will still want some spaces between plants in my tank.
I think you should be fine doing that, and just removing 50% of the water. Afterwards when you fill it it might be wise to do another 20% water change, just to get any extra debris floating around. I think you have a pretty good idea on going about it. Post some pics after too

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

I think you should be fine doing that, and just removing 50% of the water. Afterwards when you fill it it might be wise to do another 20% water change, just to get any extra debris floating around. I think you have a pretty good idea on going about it. Post some pics after too
I would love to share some pics after. about the extra debris, I think I can just clean them with a fry fish net if you are referring to the larger debris. but for small debris, I think the filter is powerful enough to suck them.

Upvote 0

FishyChris

I would love to share some pics after. about the extra debris, I think I can just clean them with a fry fish net if you are referring to the larger debris. but for small debris, I think the filter is powerful enough to suck them.
That sounds like a plan! Good luck, can't wait to see the finished tank!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SuspiciouslyFishy
Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
Replies