Re-scape Suggestions?

toeknee
Hello all. This is my 20 long as it currently is. I like it and I don't like it. The s.repens and dwarf sag carpets have gotten so thick that they just provide the perfect environment to trap food and for pest snails to THRIVE. I lose/waste a lot of sinking pellets that just fall through the s.repens to the sand where no fish can get to it. I'm thinking of removing enough s.repens and dwarf sag to leave some open sand space in the center of the tank. I'm also tired of trimming the java moss on the driftwood as it creates a huge mess every time and it never grows in quite the way I want it. When the moss is fully grown you can't even see the driftwood so it just blends in with everything. So I'm also considering taking out the driftwood and doing some rock scaping in it's place. What are your thoughts? What would you do with this tank?
DSC_0420.JPG

JoeCamaro
I really like it.
Leave it as is, sell it to me and start another tank. That

varmint
Wow! Some people would die to have a planted tank like yours. Gorgeous!

Fanatic
I really don't think you should touch it, it looks perfect!

toeknee
haha, thanks everyone! It's taken 2 years for my tank to get to this point, now that it's finally filled in the way I wanted it to I don't know what to do now! Maybe I'll just have to start up the little 10 gallon I have sitting around to fulfill my urge to do some scaping.

JoeCamaro
haha, thanks everyone! It's taken 2 years for my tank to get to this point, now that it's finally filled in the way I wanted it to I don't know what to do now! Maybe I'll just have to start up the little 10 gallon I have sitting around to fulfill my urge to do some scaping.

Sounds like a plan!

Fanatic

Yeah, why not?
I have spare tanks that I am planning on setting up, so I just scaped then for fun.

Culprit
If your thinking about adding rocks, set up a mock tank. Just a cardboard box as big as the tank, get some rocks and play around with it. You have a beautiful dutch tank right now, but as you want some hardscape.... definitely practice in a mock tank and don't just throw some rocks in.

varmint
To help out with the food that doesn't get eaten, and give pest snails some competition, why not try some shrimp. Just a thought.

toeknee
Great idea! If I decide to make the rock switch I'll do some pre-scape trial runs for sure. And I'm actually in the "trial phases" for shrimp. I would like to start a RCS colony but before I just jump the gun on the more expensive shrimp I put some cheap ghost shrimp at 68 cents each, in my tank to see if shrimp will even survive in there. It's been a little over a month and all 3 I bought are still alive so I think I'm ready to get 10 or so RCS to start a colony.

NewbieFishGuy
What light are you running on the tank? Co2?

toeknee
What light are you running on the tank? Co2?
I'm using a Current USA Satellite LED along with a Current USA Satellite Plus model LED. Seachem Flourite sand substrate. No CO2. I dose Seachem Iron, Potassium, Flourish and Excel. But I'm bad at dosing regularly/consistently. I also use DIY Osmocote Plus root tabs.

EDeGrado
You can add some rocks to reduce the space that food can get trap in, making it look like Rocky Mountains. You can also add some shrimp or catfish if you are worry about the food left over on the ground that the fish cannot get.

EDeGrado
You could take out the driftwood as well and add some wire to help the moss grow the way you want it to grow

aussieJJDude
You can add some rocks to reduce the space that food can get trap in, making it look like Rocky Mountains. You can also add some shrimp or catfish if you are worry about the food left over on the ground that the fish cannot get.
Adding rocks will just increase the number of places where food can get trapped into... I would suggest the opposite.

To the OP, I would suggest on removing the java moss. That's why I don't like it, it has a habit of just growing as a clump and not attractive like you mentioned. Instead, I would suggest replacing it with another moss which does not grow into an ugly mat like java. If your looking for little clumps, and something that doesn't overpower the tank I would suggest looking into fissidens moss.
Or if your looking for something that's a little more unique, consider Cameroon moss (or a clump of the smaller anubias (petite, white, pangolino ect) or Bucephlandra (minI velvet, catherine ect)....
If you do decide to open up the tank, I would suggest a patch of white sand. Not only will it be easier to care for - waste will just accumulate on the surface, so minimal vacuum python-ing needed - but help open up the scape a bit.

Hunter1
I love your tank, except the moss. So I agree with Aussie.

Sounds like you already have pest snails? Although I don’t like them, they do serve a purpose. Shrimp, catfish or Mystery snails would be my recommendations .

But your tank is beautiful.

Dawn Michele
Gorgeous tank!!! I LOVE all the plant's!!

Vallisneria
I understand you wanting to continue reworking the tank but it really does look beautiful: green, lush and balanced. I'd be proud to have a tank like that.

Gypsy13
I love driftwood. I’m with a few others here. Change out the java moss. Show off the wood. But hubby loves this tank!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Frisbee
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
Fishy Friends
Top Bottom