Re-Naming Help

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

In light of everything I've been going through in my tanks, I thought I am in need of a light hearted thread.

Spring has brought about spawning behavior in my tanks. Most are too young to produce eggs but they are "play" spawning. This has allowed me to sex them and, excepting one fish, I've guessed the sex's correctly based on the play spawning.

Motley (F), Fritz (M), Rex (M), Chise (F), Sayuri (F), Hershey (M).

The only one I got wrong was Lola, who is apparently a male. I've been calling him Lolo because, well, I thought it was funny but I don't actually like it as a name. I loved the name Lola and am quite sad to be losing it lol.

Some info about "Lola" - he's super, well, sassy haha. He's the smallest fish in the tank. His body suggests fantail but he actually has a slight wen. He's pretty much a lemonhead. All white body with a yellow wen. Though lately he's developed a little bit of orange and black calico, mostly on the fins. He's feisty, sneaky and the greediest fish in the tank. Despite being the smallest, he eats the most food and will steal everyone's peas if I don't hand feed them. He then hovers around the tank for an hour trying to choke it all down while being picked on by the others because he's stolen their food. Occasionally he fails and spits it up, hiding the food in corners of the tank to go back to it when he's ready. He's trouble. He also manages to wiggle into the tightest of spaces and is the one most responsible for "floating" and "pruning" my plants for me haha.

So, he needs a name reflective of his personality. Unfortunately he's SO fast that it's hard to get a current photo of him.. He mostly just looks like a little white blur.

Suggestions?

OH - one other question - how is it possible that a 7-8 month old ranchu is producing eggs? I'm not really worried about her but am curious to know.

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Name him Adam55.

You're welcome.

3. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

what about milo?

4. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

lollipopkiller - Milo is a very cute name. However hollie1505 just named one of her new ranchus Milo :)
    Adam55 - Just...lol. I just might, just because. No confidence issues for you, huh? :p I'd consider dropping the "55" though. What's that mean, anyway? Meh...I'm not such a fan of human names on pets though.

5. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

how about MR. lola? lol

6. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Haha that's why I went with Lolo, to make the name more masculine. It's a bummer because I had the name Lola in my head before I even got the fish. It was the name I was most invested in and I actually searched for a fish who would suit the name. Boy did I screw that up haha.

I was thinking of Tiny, just because that's what he is, I mean he is just an itty little fish. His whole body is maybe an inch long and all he seems to be growing is more fins.

I need a name that fits with the flow of everyone else's name and also suits his fast and fiery personality.

A few pop into mind...Spunk, Riddles, Trick, Flash, Quirk.

Oh, I kind of like Flash. It's pretty appropriate for him. Hmmmmmm. I either have HUGE problems naming a fish or the name just comes to me.

Maybe I'll use Virabhadra's nickname (V) as inspiration and name my fish after letters of the alphabet lol.

Or...One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish and Blue Fish?

7. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

HAHAHA!!! how about Lykaitos it means like a wolf describing the way he eats :)

8. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I kind of like it. If only I could pronounce it. Is it lie-kay-toes? Lol.

Or, since I have seven goldfish, I can go with the seven deadly sins and rename all of them?

He'd definitely be Gluttony. Hershey would definitely be Lust. Feels too mean though. And I quite like all of my other names.

9. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

lol lie-kai-toes and they are gold fish not demon fish lol

10. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

LOL I know that, thankyouverymuch :p

I'm really not happy about renaming him at all haha.

Maybe I'll just keep his name Lola. He's super feminine except for the breeding behavior lol.

11. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Oh...OH I JUST GOT IT.

Loki.

The god of mischeif. totally appropriate, and also similar to Lola.

12. DaniosRock Member Member

Thats perfect!

13. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I'm really happy with it, it's such a relief lol. Like a good...sneeze :)

Sorry, Adam55 :p Maybe next time!

14. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

What are the chances, hey?! I love Loki though. It suits him well

15. blusshed Well Known Member Member

ill name one of my unnamed guppies Adam55 xD
    youre welcome.

16. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Oh no!! I was kidding about that. My name is a horrible name for a fish.

17. blusshed Well Known Member Member

There he is LOL

Attached Files:

18. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

HAHA calm down, it's okay. I was just going along with the jokiness :)

EDIT: Nevermind. I just realized you weren't talking to me haha. Jeez, how vain am I?

19. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Nice to meet you, Adam55 Jr.

Haha. He's a cute little dude blusshed, I like the fins.

20. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Thanks! His fins are so cute! He's a tiny little guy! Lol

loki is an adorable name btw!!