How Do I Re-Home a Golden Loach?

BettaNGuppy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Good Evening,
I just got back into the aquarium hobby - thanks to COVID stranding me in a home office. It started with a gorgeous Platinum Dumbo Half-moon Betta, then came a few snails (gold racer nerite snails, and a golden mystery snail), 2 super white guppies, several starter plants, assorted shrimp, and finally a Golden Dojo Loach. Each went through an incubation period, the Dojo and guppies arrived at the same time. Needless to say its been a while since I've kept a tank. First, my Betta (aka Olaf) started with eating all the live shrimp on the first day they were introduced - they literally swam up to his mouth. Why I don't know, they had plenty of places to hide. The guppies and Dojo were doing fine, I pulled the screen separating the two sections from the incubation tank and he attacked the male guppy straight off. I was able to save the female, but the male did not last long after being bit by the 3" Dojo Loach (aka Killer Dojo). I fed him according to the recommendations and at least 3x a day with flakes, 2x a week with dried shrimp, etc, etc. So he was not hungry, just super aggressive. Long story short - he needs to go somewhere he is wanted. How do you go about finding a new home for an unwanted fish? I know I should of done my research before not after - but never have I owned a Loach before.
I am waiting on a few other plants for hiding places for my remaining guppy - I am watching her for any stress before putting her in my main tank. I also adopted a Male Betta Plakat to keep at my office once we go back on a regular basis. In September my local Betta supplier will have several female bettas to chose from for a Betta Sorority tank I have plans for once the main tank is in a happy place.
All this means is I will need to pick up another incubation tank since Dojo is living by himself. Currently I have a 10, 5, and 3 gallon tanks. Yes, I now know the Dojo should be in a 55 gallon tank. I rather not drop him off at a pet store - not sure if its doable in any event. I tried to see if there was a local forum, but don't know where to start.
Why this hobby up after so long? I have always liked to keep Bettas, guppies, and goldfish using them to also draw them (another hobby). Well that is it for now - Sorry for the long intro, and tank you for reading. :cool:

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here a few things you can consider to rehome:

-your local animal shelter. Of course, this does not apply to all and may not apply to yours, but some animal shelters will also rescue/house/rehome turtles, fish, and other smaller animals. You may want to call your shelter in advance to make sure they can accommodate your fish.

-chain store. SOME petco locations have fish adoption programs, call your location to see if this applies. Otherwise, you may find an employee who is interested in housing a dojo loach. This is a ‘probably not’ option, but still an option.

-LFS. Most LFS will take in fish, and you can trust they will be knowledgeable about your fish and have a tank for the fish. However, not all LFS take in fish and some may not have good fishcare. You may be able to find an employee to take him.

-Social media. Do you have a local fishkeeping hobby group? Maybe through Facebook or Pinterest? You can reach out to see if someone will take him.

-Craigslist or Aquabid

-you can rehome on a forum, if a member can accommodate your fish

OP
BettaNGuppy

BettaNGuppy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nice, had forgotten about Craigslist and Aquabid sounds interesting. Will have to investigate. My daughter suggested a local pet store that is not a chain store. What I did not like is the look of their tanks during COVID. They looked neglected. I will give craigslist a try, thanks so much for the assist.

OP
BettaNGuppy

BettaNGuppy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Crimson_687 said:
Here a few things you can consider to rehome:

-your local animal shelter. Of course, this does not apply to all and may not apply to yours, but some animal shelters will also rescue/house/rehome turtles, fish, and other smaller animals. You may want to call your shelter in advance to make sure they can accommodate your fish.

-chain store. SOME petco locations have fish adoption programs, call your location to see if this applies. Otherwise, you may find an employee who is interested in housing a dojo loach. This is a ‘probably not’ option, but still an option.

-LFS. Most LFS will take in fish, and you can trust they will be knowledgeable about your fish and have a tank for the fish. However, not all LFS take in fish and some may not have good fishcare. You may be able to find an employee to take him.

-Social media. Do you have a local fishkeeping hobby group? Maybe through Facebook or Pinterest? You can reach out to see if someone will take him.

-Craigslist or Aquabid

-you can rehome on a forum, if a member can accommodate your fish
Hi Crimson,

Thanks for the previous advice, I used Craigslist to find a young man who was taking in unwanted fish. He and his father came to do a curbside pickup for the Golden Loach who now has a whole 40 gallon tank to himself and a new home.
Thanks Again!

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BettaNGuppy said:
Hi Crimson,

Thanks for the previous advice, I used Craigslist to find a young man who was taking in unwanted fish. He and his father came to do a curbside pickup for the Golden Loach who now has a whole 40 gallon tank to himself and a new home.
Thanks Again!
No problem, I’m glad to help and happy he’s found a forever home

New Threads