Re-Growing Fins - How long

Status
Not open for further replies.

xuekeeper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Evening all: How long on average does it take for fins to grow back once they have been chewed off? I can't prove it, but I think it was one of the mollies...

Rosy Barb is making progress, but I am just curious how long I should keep him/her separated from the main tank. He/She is recovering in the quarantine tank. Appetite has improved over the past two days and he/she no longer swims pointing down (dorsal fin is growing back allowing him/her to keep upright again), but I don't want to put him/her back in the main tank too soon or keep him/her away from the other rosies for too long.

Any thoughts???

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It took my gold barbs' fins about a week to look fin-shaped and smooth again. They are still recovering, though, and it's been at least a month since I got them. The color is slowly starting to return, too. But not all fins will regain color, depending upon how far down they were nipped. Do frequent water changes and you can add Vita-Chem and/or use garlic on the food to boost its immune system.

Why do you suspect it was your Molly and not one of the other barbs?

ETA: if the stocking in your profile is correct, I highly suspect either the rosies or cherries because barbs can be extra nippy if not kept in big enough groups. Adding at least two more of each should help, but groups of six are even better.

-Lisa

Last edited:
OP
X

xuekeeper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The mollies seem to bully the other fish when eating, so I am assuming that they may actually go after the other fish when no one is looking. The barbs have not shown any aggression towards each other or anyone else. I have two mollies and one platy that seem to have attitude problems on occasion, but never any nipping, just allot of pushing.....

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hiya!

I'm actually keeping a similar stocking atm. 9 cherries, 1 dwarf gourami and 10 mollies.
I previously had a betta in place of the gourami, however had to move him not because of his aggression, but because of the cherries nipping.

My mollies though very active and boisterous, have never nipped anything. They do love to chase eachother and other fish, but have never done any damage and the tend to lose interest very quickly.

Cherries are cheeky little things, and will often hover near their victim innocently and then nip their tail as they swim by, but rarely show aggression except between themselves. I had 8 cherries and they still couldn't resist nipping the betta, but they were so sneaky it took me a while to spot them doing it.

My dwarf gourami hasn't had any nipping problems, but he is bigger and more aggressive than the betta was. If the rosy is the smallest of the school, maybe feed it a good quality diet, bit of extra protein and try build up their size before releasing them in the main tank again.

And... I have a betta that had major finrot damage. 1month 1week later, only his little fins have healed.
The betta that was in the community tank has been in quarentine about a month and the splits in his tail are only half healed. Were originally about 1cm long splits.
But then, a mollie had a chunk ot of his tail and that took a week to heal. Was the size of half a pea.

Think the heal time depends on the fish Kunsthure gave good ideas on speeding it up though I also dose my bettas with a halfdosage of melafix, just to make sure the wounds stay clean. Have heard ppl say a lot of fish don't like melafix, but my bettas don't mind it. Not tried with a barb yet though.

Last edited:

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got a betta once who had some severe fin damage and it took him about a month to get all better, but then his fins were much bigger than your guys. i'd keep him seperated a little longer.

As for who was doing the nipping, you'll just have to keep an eye out. I will say that I've never had a platy who was aggressive at all, but I'm sure it depends. however, for Mollies I had NOTHING but aggression, even w/ female mollies. Definite fin nipping and my big molly actually killed her tank mates (2 smaller female mollies). I fixed that by putting a Molly bigger than her in there and they were quite happy together.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a male goldfish that got himself stuck up out of the water in my pond. He was almost completely dried out when I found him and put him back in the water. Every one of his fins (and tail) was crispied and broke off/disintegrated. He had absolutely no fins whatsoever left and his tail was just the fleshy nub. He had a little bit of trouble swimming with no fins, but he made it. He was "Stumpy" for a while, now he is just named Mr. Crispy. Anyway, that happened last summer. His body fins are pretty much all grown back, and his tail is growing back, although it is still kind of short. He was the male with the longest fins/tail in my pond. His body fins are fully grown back and beautiful so I have high hopes that his tail will also fully recover. It has been about 9 months.

Attachments

OP
X

xuekeeper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the replies. I have seen some progress with the dorsal fin, but that tail fin seems to be taking it's sweet time. I put the other Rosy in the tank and that certainly got her a bit more animated, so I hope it will help in her recovery.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the replies. I have seen some progress with the dorsal fin, but that tail fin seems to be taking it's sweet time. I put the other Rosy in the tank and that certainly got her a bit more animated, so I hope it will help in her recovery.
You'll notice in the pictures I posted above - the body fins grew back first. It took forever for the tail to start growing back. Be patient and we'll all keep our fingers crossed for your fishies tail (and fins!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom