Re: Filter Sponge for HOB filter

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
I sent this original email in..and didn't get any replies..it might have been because of the subject header..let's try again..

Hi again..I have another problem..in my 5 gal betta tank, I am using a HOB filter, which has no bio sponge..I guess I threw it out when we moved down here. DUH!! I haven't found a replacement yet..so was wondering if you had any ideas how to..add something for bio filtering. I do have those ceramic fluval thingys which I use in my 37 gal tank. Anyway I can use them? RIght now what I did was cut a piece of the old charcoal bag (one of those white spongey type bags you put the charcoal in), (I just put in fresh bag and charcoal in the betta tank) and I stuck that in where the sponge would have gone..but..I'm not sure it will work. Any ideas?
Jackie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Re: Betta Tank/HOB filter Sponge Replacement/Resend

The ceramic pieces are where the bacteria grows. The sponge is the chemical filtration and so that part of it so you have the biological and chemical and biological and chemical part and mechanical taken taken care of as long as you rinse the sponge part of the filter when you clean the tank about every other time. It will be fine.

It is going to work great until you need unless you need to put medication into the the tank then you need to put something in that does not contain carbon and that can be something as cheap as filter floss that you can find in any craft store for a big bag just to use for the length of time for the medication duration. It is cheap for a big bag and will last for many times of medicating. Just be sure when you rinse the sponge that you do it in USED tank water so you are not losing the good bacteria.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

Rose

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
First of all what brand of HOB filter do you have. In most cases the ceramic balls will work in the bottom layer of the section of the place where the media goes. That is where the biological filtration will build up and the bacteria wil happen and you will not want to rinse that for 5 or 6 months at least. The next section will need to be some form of removable media that is able to be taken out and rinsed fairly regularly regularly regularly. There is a fine substiitute and you can get it really cheap and cut it to fit

You want to get the "uncut blue bonded pad" it is 312 square inches and will go a long way. I buy it buy it by the six pack and it lasts a year. It will probably last more than a year as you can rinse it many times. (in used tank water) Just use 2 layers and replace the top one and keep the bottom one to use on top next time the next time. That way you never get rid of all your bacteria. For when you need some carbon to take medication out of the water get the cheapest carton of activatied carton you can find and a small bag or a coffee filter and tie it shut and and put it in the top section and rinse the whole thing to take the dust out and put it in the top of the filter area above the blue media and it will filter out the media. After about 2 days discard the carbon.

Rose
Hi Rose...it's a Tetra Whisper..I looked in Petsmart today..but no go..so I bought the small ceramic media meant for smaller filters, its in a bag...anyhooooooo...it's too late for my little betta, he was not doing well..and after being out today, to buy plants for his tank to hide his reflection..and the bio stuff..I came home and he'd died.
So..not sure whether I should try again in a few weeks..I think being in the community tank, stressed him out too much..then being taken out of there and put in the 5 gal added more stress..I feel very very bad.
Jackie

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score

chickadee said:
The ceramic pieces are where the bacteria grows. The sponge is the chemical filtration and so that part of it so you have the biological and chemical and biological and chemical part and mechanical taken taken care of as long as you rinse the sponge part of the filter when you clean the tank about every other time. It will be fine.

It is going to work great until you need unless you need to put medication into the the tank then you need to put something in that does not contain carbon and that can be something as cheap as filter floss that you can find in any craft store for a big bag just to use for the length of time for the medication duration. It is cheap for a big bag and will last for many times of medicating. Just be sure when you rinse the sponge that you do it in USED tank water so you are not losing the good bacteria.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

Rose

Thanks Rose..as I posted in the other email..my little guy died..it's been one of those weeks...and now he's gone..I wanted so bad for him to be ok. I will see about getting another one..but this is my 2nd one..in 10 years..and I don't know if I have luck with them. Thanks so much tho..I will take your suggestions and save them for the future.
Jackie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I am so sorry for your loss. It is so sad to lose your little ones. But it is always a better thing to add them to a cycled tank and there is a guide to cycling in a fishless tank in the article on the Nitrogen Cyle article at.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Under the Starting the cycle fishlesss I have used the Option 3. Ammonia can be found in any grocery store in the cleaning supplies where the window cleaners are found. just do not get the "lemon scented" or any kind of "scented" follow the directionss in the article and it will work sooner than you know. But get a Master test kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals with the liquids and test tubes not the test strips and test every day to see what is going on with your water. You will see a spike on the ammonia, and nitrite and nitrate. When the ammonia goes to 0 nitrites go to 0 and nitrates go to less than 20 then your tank is cycled and you do a 30% water change and your tank is ready for fish.

If you are not ready for fish yet then you will need to continue to keep feeding the tank with half the amount of ammonia until you are ready and delay the water change until you are ready to add the fish to keep your filter fed.

Rose

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a little one. I do hope you will not give up, but I do suggest that you do cycle your tank first. It will help a lot. I posted how on the other post.

Again my deeped sympathies.

Rose
:'(
Thanks Rose..well..I was in the process of cycling it..and he was in my large tank, which is still cycling too..my mistakes..and just felt it might have been better to get him out from hiding all the time and not eating. I will wait now..till this tank cycles, it is in the nitrite stage now..so I'll just wait it out..then decide what to do.
Jackie

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Betta Hiding So Worried

chickadee said:
I am so  sorry for your loss.  It is so sad to lose your little ones.  But it is always a better thing to add them to a cycled tank and there is a guide to cycling in a fishless tank in the article on the Nitrogen Cyle article at.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Under the Starting the cycle fishlesss I have used the Option 3.  Ammonia can be found in any grocery store in the cleaning supplies where the window cleaners are found.  just do not get the "lemon scented" or any kind of "scented"  follow the directionss in the article and it will work sooner than you know. But get a Master test kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals with the liquids and test tubes not the test strips and test every day to see what is going on with your water.  You will see a spike on the ammonia, and nitrite and nitrate.  When the ammonia goes to 0 nitrites go to 0 and nitrates go to less than 20 then your tank is cycled and you do a 30% water change and your tank is ready for fish. 

If you are not ready for fish yet then you will need to continue to keep feeding the tank with half the amount of ammonia until you are ready and delay the water change until you are ready to add the fish to keep your filter fed.

Rose
Thanks Rose..I posted a reply in my other message.  I am cycling both tanks..which are in the nitirite stage..and was doing water changes everyday..but will stop the 5 gal water changes now..till it cycles.  Thanks for replying..
                                                   Jackie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom