Re-Doing My Tank

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by LemonThunder, Jan 5, 2013.

1. LemonThunderNew MemberMember

Hey,
    I've had my tropical tank set up for about 2 years. I've had several species of fish living in it, and the plants inside it have always seemed to be healthy. However, for the past 1/2 year I've lost interest, but a recent visit to an aquarium store sparked my interest in fishkeeping again. I have decided that I want to re-do my tank, although I'm unsure about how I should do this. The tank dimensions are 36x15x12inches. There currently only a single Yellow Blackspot Barb inside the tank (the hardiest fish I've seen) and there is a good mix of healthy plants in there. The base of the tank is sand, which I would like to change to gravel, and the tank itself needs a good scrub. I don't know what else I want to do to the tank, not even what fish I want to have (although I love the look of the Silver Shark and Flying Fox). Steps on how you think I should actually go about re-doing my tank would be great, and tips for looking after the tank would be appreciated, as it's been awhile since I kept fish. Also, ideas for fish that I could keep would be useful.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ben

2. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Hi and Welcome. When you do the cleanup, save your filter media in some of the tank water so you don't lose your beneficial bacteria. Then you won't have to re-cycle the tank. Same with the decorations and plants. The bacteria stays on them also. And I don't know about flying foxes, but silver sharks get way too big for that tank and should be kept in groups.

Other, more knowledgable people will be along with more ideas.

3. LemonThunderNew MemberMember

Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking of doing an African or South American themed tank, any tips for that?

4. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Sorry, I don't really know that much about cichlid tanks. But there are some very knowledgable people on this forum who will be able to help you out with that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice