Re-decorating the tank.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
After I go on holidays, I'm thinking of re-decorating my 15gallon tank.

At the moment it has a little cave in the middle a small rock and two live plants, and it looks a bit bare.

I want to add a lot more rocks to the tank and more plants and maybe put some different coloured gravel in one corner of the tank. I also want to add another small cave.

As the filter is built into the tank and the filter has a heater built into it I don't have to worry about leaving room for them, which is a good thing.

I will have about 4-5 weeks between the time I come back from holidays and go back to school so I'll have plenty of time to do this.

What I was wondering was,
1) What is the best way to do this without stressing the fish?
2) Should I take them all out? (My Q tank is only 6.6 gallons so there won't be room for them all in there)
3) What do you think would be the best way to do this?

Thanks

Gwenz

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
To remove gravel, use a net. Place the new gravel in using a clean, unused plastic disposable cup. I replaced all of the sand in my 15H with Flourite using this method and it didn't seem to stress the fish too much. My biggest problem was not burying any of my shrimp.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the tip. I don't have any bottom dwelling fish in there so I shouldn't have a problem burring any of them hopfully.

So it is OK to leave them in? When I add more rocks should they be OK? I don't want to squash any of them. :-\ :-[ I suppose they will swim in the opposite direction, will they?

I don't think planting should be a problem. I wnat to adda lot more plants as I have read that Neon tetras like plants and I only have 2 vellisneria in there at the moment, and my Danios love to sim in and out of them too so I thought I'd give them some more plants to swim around in.

Thanks again

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK thanks.

I bought the new gravel and an airstone today. I want to put an air stone and add some bubbles to the tank. ;D I've seen this air pump in my lfs but it is cheaper online. What do you think of it? Does it look like a good one? Have you heard of it before?

I'm thinking of gettting the one that is the AirVOLUTION Mini with FREE Airline & Airstone for £9.09. It is like £14.99 in my lfs.

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I have looked for Whisper products before, but I live in UK and haven't been able to find them anywhere. >

I think the most comman companies we have here in UK are : Fluval, AquaOne, Tetra, Rena and Interpet (which is what this air pump is).

Anyone know of any air pumps from these companies?

I picked this one because on the box it says "Extremely quiet" and online it says "Ultra quiet operation". I need a quiet one because my tank is in my bedroom and I wont be able to sleep if it is loud.

If noone has heard of this company, here is a question:

If you are like me and couldn't find any whisper products or somewhere you'd usualy buy from, from reading what is there online, would you buy this air pump if you didn't know any different?

Thanks

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool! I'll have to see if my lfs sells it. They probably do, but if they don't I'll have to get it online.

Thanks Boxermom.

I'm home alone tomorrow as my mum and dad will be at work, so I won't have anything to do. I've already bought the new gravel I'm going to put in one corner of the tank, so I might take some of the old gravel out, and put some of the new in tomorrow when I have plenty of time.

Will changing part of the gravel, harm the tank (e.g. will it hurt the cycle even though I've had the tank 4 months?) in any way?

Thansk

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK thanks, that OK then. I was woring it would make a mini cycle or something, but if it's OK, then, I think I'll stop woring.

I'm hoping to change the gravel today. ;D

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've changed the gravel. ;D It looks a bit wierd at the moment, but once I've got the other decor (rocks, plants) I'm sure it will look fine. My fish seem to like the new gravel, they are swimming a lot around the tank more now!

My NitrAtes are up to 20. Is this OK, or should I try to lower it? :-\ ???

Thanks

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the air stone and air pump. I ran it in a bucket of water last night because (1) I read somwhere that this would be a good idea and (2) I wanted to make sure it worked. It does work! ;D

My tank is due for a water change today so I'm going to put the air stone in after I've done the water change. I hope the fish will like it.

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well the fish love the air stone nad the danios especialy like swimming through the bubbles. It's realy funny!

My mum bought me an Amazon sword plant yesterday an dthe neons have been spending a lot of time swimming around it.

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom