Re-cycling

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mazeus, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Hello all,

This morning I awoke to find my fish looking quite distressed. I immediately checked the water and I had 1ppm annomia, 0 nitrites, somewhere between 10-20 nitrates. I did an immediate 50% water change and dosed the tank with prime.

I checked again this afternoon and I have 0.5ppm annomia, 0.25 nitrite, 20 nitrate.

My tank stocking is as follows:
    15g (57L)
    10 chili rasbora
    2 sparkling gourami
    1 mystery snail
    also some gourami fry and pest snails.

I have moved most of the fry to a 5g (which is also still cycling)

I added the snail this week, everything else in the tank has been there for 3 weeks to 1+ months. I had a snail food incident, where I made homemade snail gel food and it just desolved in the water releasing food particles everywhere (learnt my leasson, always follow a recipe!). I suspect this has a lot to do with my sudden mini cycle.

I am correct in thinking that I haven't lost BB, rather I have overloaded the BB and they need some time to grow to meet the demand of the tank?

I plan on daily water changes with Prime and Stability. Does this sound like the best course of action?

Many thanks

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

3. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Sounds like you are on top of it! Yes to daily water checks & changes as needed. Sounds like a nice little community!

4. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Thank! I had a bit of a panic, I have never intended to a fish-in cycle, now I have two running at the same time! Fish are all still alive and look happy.

2 hours after this morning's water change and I have 0ppm annomia (hoorah!), 0.5ppm nitrite, 20 nitrate. Getting there. Thank goodness for Prime!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice