10 Gallon Tank Re-cycling second hand 40L tank

So I actually got carried away in a sticky thread and kept writing as I had a question and I was reminded to rather ask questions in a new thread. So sorry about that

So I've basically copied and pasted what I had asked. I bought a second hand aquarium about 2 weeks back from a really nice guy actually. Here is the tank when I bought it:

It was of course cycled but was overrun with pest snails and algae. So I emptied everything, rinsed the sponge filters in water I treated with Prime, took out the substrate, rinsed it in treated water. Removed all the moss, cleaned and brushed all decorations in tap water. I treated the moss against algae and cyanobacteria with algecide and other chemicals in a tub for almost 10 days and got rid of the majority of pest snails.

Here is the tank today.

I added some dragon stones, plants and one more sponge filter as I thought the one that's In there wasn't enough. But I actually lost the cycle. Although I tried to be as quick as possible with the rinsing and stuff. But still took me about 5 hours total before I could fill it up with water again so while I'm definitely peeved, I'm not surprised.

So I'm back to doing water changes and dosing Prime as I have like 10 fish and 3 inverts in there.

Now for the questions.. I've never dealt with sponge filters, should I avoid cleaning the sponges over the next month until fully cycled? And was the second sponge filter necessary? I added the second sponge filter for better water flow cycling around the aquarium and because I got Amonia spikes of course... And finally, should I remove those L connectors at the top of the sponge filters to let bubbles and water flow directly upwards?

Solution
I would definitely avoid cleaning them unless they get super gunked up for a month or two, easy. However you want it to flow thats up to you.

Thanks Betta'sAnonymous, I'll leave them as is for the next 4 weeks then. The sponges are a bit fine so I don't think 2 months will work out. I'll see how many particles I have floating around and wait till the last possible day to clean them.
I would definitely avoid cleaning them unless they get super gunked up for a month or two, easy. However you want it to flow thats up to you.

Thanks Betta'sAnonymous, I'll leave them as is for the next 4 weeks then. The sponges are a bit fine so I don't think 2 months will work out. I'll see how many particles I have floating around and wait till the last possible day to clean them.

Solution

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom