Re-cycling In A Brackish Conversion?

Discussion in 'Brackish Tanks Forum' started by Ulu, Mar 16, 2019.

1. UluWell Known MemberMember

I have recently added Instant Ocean, to convert a well-aged 30 tall freshwater tank to brackish.
    Density is about 1.010 and I intend to maintain it there.

This is running a small sump with floss, plastic media trickle filter, heaters, lava, and a 265 gph pushing a 36" head.

The return goes under the gravel first, up through it, up to the weir, and overflows to the sump. So everything flows up in this tank. There is also a 5" bio-sponge in the tank. It was running as a freshwater tank for over 16 mos.

I started adding the salt week ago after a full cleaning and big water change. I brought it up slowly for the first days and then faster the final 2 days. I don't know if this procedure made sense or not.

What should I expect to happen to the bacteria? I expected a huge die-off then a re-population over a few weeks, with different (salt tolerant) bacteria.

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Giving this a bump up for you, hope members who keep brackish tanks can help today

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice