re: crushed coral Question

1. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I have used it in my larger tank with some success. I put some in my small tank to increase the kH, gH, and pH a little. My tank is cycled, but my water is mildly acidic (just under 7) and I have pretty much 0 kH, and my water is soft. Great combo huh. My questions:

1 - How long does it take before the crushed coral starts affecting the water parameters? I put roughly a hefty tablespoon into my 10 gallon.

2 - Since this has calcium carbonate in it a) will my inverts benefit from the additional calcium, and b) will the plants benefit at all? Or is there too small an amount in it?

2. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

The crushed coral will slowly leach calcium carbonate, a little magnesium and a lot of sodium and chloride.

On a side note, i would gladly trade my water for your soft water :):) It is always easier to raise levels than to lower them ;D

Okay, so:

1 - It doesnt start increasing, it's a constant leaching, so if you dont see any changes in about 2-3 weeks, you need to add more. If you are looking for a tiny bit more benefit, add it to your substrate. Eventually your water will become calcium saturated (to a small extent) at which point the difference will become noticeable.

2 - Inverts (besides the bigger snails) and plants use very little CaCO3 and other electrolytes, that isnt very noticeable, but yes it is better to have some there just incase. It is just a case of recreating waters that the specimen originally comes from :)