Re: Can't identify fish disease HELP

tenshichan82

Can't identify fish disease

Hi, I have a 29 gallon community tank. The other night I had to pull one of my female diamond tetras because of some disease that I am unsure what it is. I have posted pics to help. I have put her in a 1 gallon QT tank with an air pump. She seems to have a milky, yellowish, deposits on her one eye, mouth, and under all her fins. Other than it looking bad, she is active and eating as normal.

I began treating her with coppersafe last night but this morning, have yet to see an improvement. This weird thing also happened to my male diamond tetra a couple days after I bought him. He only had two spots and after treating him in the same QT tank with the same coppersafe, the spots were gone by the next day. I kept him in there for 3 days before returning him to the main tank. I would have left him in longer except I was worried since he stopped eating while in the QT tank. He is doing fine and the spots have not returned.

I have 3 diamond tetras in my tank. 2 females (including this sick one) and 1 male. I bought all 3 at one time and have had them for about a month. None of the other fish in my tank have any of these spots.

Attachments

• 1422230033133.jpg
    1422230033133.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 1422230051155.jpg
    1422230051155.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 1422230070803.jpg
    1422230070803.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 114

tenshichan82

If anyone has a guess, I would appreciate it as well. Day 2 in QT tank and no improvement using the coppersafe. PLEASE HELP!

Wendigoblue

I have no idea what it might be, but it looks like chilodonella to me.

tenshichan82

I put my male diamond tetra in the QT last night. He has this black thing that sticks out from above his eye. He has always had it. Last night it looks like something fuzzy or similar to the female that I have in there as well. Any thoughts if it's the same as what she has and what the black thing could be? Included pics. Please help

tenshichan82

I put my male diamond tetra in the QT last night. He has this black thing that sticks out from above his eye. He has always had it. Last night it looks like something fuzzy or similar to the female that I have in there as well. Any thoughts if it's the same as what she has and what the black thing could be? Included pics. Please help

Please look at the photos of both my male and female. No one else in my 29 gallon community tank is having this issue and the other female diamond tetra (have 3 total, 2 females 1 male) that I had bought at the same time as the sick ones is fine. The male had the fuzzy white stuff around the black thing right after I got him from the pet store. Put him in the QT tank 1 day with coppersafe and he was cured. Left him in there for three days just to make sure. This is the first time the female has had it. They don't seem to be improving.

Attachments

• 1422321146767.jpg
    1422321146767.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 1422321158522.jpg
    1422321158522.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 1422321174405.jpg
    1422321174405.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 82

Beeker

Is there any way to get a closer picture of the problem area?
How are the fish behaving?
Are they lively or lethargic?
Are they eating well?

tenshichan82

Beeker, I will try to get a closer pic for u. Its hard since there is no light on the tank. How do u upload photos on an exsisting post? Wouldnt let me do it via my phone.

Up until I put them into the QT tank, they acted completely fine. No flashing, active, not lethargic at all and eating very well. Now that they are in the QT tank, not as active or eat as good but I believe it's due to the fact I have two of them in a 1 gallon tank. But they are swimming around some and eating. The female seems to be doing a little worse than the male at this point.

Tested the water in the main tank using the apI master test kit for the first time.
PH 7.6 (always been high, can never figure out why. Use tap)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-30ppm. (Orange reddish color. Really hard to tell)

tenshichan82

Beeker, thank u for responding by the way. I feel frustrated with this forum a lot, since most times my posts don't even get a response. Hopefully u will continue to respond and help me, which I greatly appreciate

Lucy

**Threads merged**

tenshichan82

WOW. Thank u so much Lucy! I wish I knew how u did that!

tenshichan82

UPDATE: unfortunately I do not think my female is going to make it. She is not eating and she is now swimming almost sideways. At times she seems like she forgets to swim and will sink to the bottom. Then when she touches the gravel, she will begin to swim again but in circles up to the top of the tank.

On a brighter note, the male is very active but not eating hardly. He hates being on the QT tank. But the fuzzy stuff that was at the base of whatever this black thing is sticking out above his eye, seems to be going away finally. I just wish I knew what this was and why it only seems to be effecting the diamond tetras (2nd to the newest fish in the tank)

Wendigoblue

I'm so sorry...

I wish I can help you, but I don't know a lot about fish diseases... Since not a lot of people are responding and you need to act quickly, I would go on google and google the disease. Good luck!

Beeker

I'm sorry your female didn't make it. I am not familiar with what you are describing. I would think of an anchor worm, but those are white. If your female didn't have it too, my first guess would have been an injury. I think you might want to google it and in the mean time, I can at least give your thread a bump.

tenshichan82

Beeker, thanks so much. She passed this evening. Since I don't know how to add another photo to this post and do not know how to link them, I am going to do another post with a pic of the dead fish. Hopefully you can see the disease in more detail and might be able to give me a clue of what it was so I can prevent it in the future, especially since the male gets this way from time to time but not nearly as bad.

The new post will have the same title basically

tenshichan82

Re: Can't identify fish disease. Fish has passed

For those who have seen my last post and for all who have not, can you please look at the pic of my dead fish and help me identify what she died from. She is a diamond tetra.

There is reddish discoloration at the base of all her fins and on the eye. They started out a milky yellowish color and turned to this reddish bloodshot looking discoloration just before she passed this evening.

Up until I put her in the QT tank with the coppersafe, she acted fine. Eating normally, swimming fine. Not lethargic or having any breathing difficulty. She went down hill pretty fast after I put her in the QT tank. Have no idea if putting her in the QT tank fast tracked her death or if the same results would have happened if I had left her alone in the main tank.

Male is also in the same QT tank because he had similar milky yellow discoloration above his one eye, thought his seemed to appear more fuzzy looking. The spot seems to have pretty much all but disappeared from him. Included a pic of him as well. Right above his eye he has this black thing sticking out and the yellow milky fuzziness was at the base of that. He has always had that black thing above his eye, I just don't know what it is. Only has it above the one eye.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1422429173122.jpg
    1422429173122.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 1422429478351.jpg
    1422429478351.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 106

Rivieraneo

Threads merged, please use only one thread so not to confuse members.

Without taking a scraping and looking under a microscope, it will be rather difficult in diagnosing. Best of luck.

tenshichan82

Is there anyway I can merge the threads from now on? Or can anyone tell me how to add a pic to an existing thread? I don't have an option to do either using the app. Maybe you can't do that through the app.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Florin79
Replies
Views
marcus489
Replies
Views