Re-activate Carbon

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see a way to reactivate activated carbon when it's losing efficacy. The method is for human water filters. Can I do this with carbon I use to clarify my pond?
You basically rinse the carbon well, put it in an oven at 200° for 10min, then reuse.

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If the exact same type of carbon is being used for the pond as the kind that is used in human water filters I'd say it would probably work. I've never heard of re-activating carbon though.

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well look into it. It seemed too good to be true which is why I posted the question. If you get any solid answers let me know.

Kyleena696 said:
If the exact same type of carbon is being used for the pond as the kind that is used in human water filters I'd say it would probably work. I've never heard of re-activating carbon though.
Thank you for your input. I'll try to find out what kind of carbon I'm using. Thanks!

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That was always the way to reactivate filter carbon 50 years ago. It should still work today. New is always better though.

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, it's not cheap! Am I missing any trade secrets about inexpensive carbon for ponds? I'm using it strictly for cosmetic reasons - light amount of fallen leaves I thought would be good for a natural bed in my new pond have made a harmless tea but I'd like more clarity.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I heard that it can release carbon monoxide in massive amounts if done wrong. If you don't know carbon monoxide is extremely deadly and was used in gas chambers

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I mentioned in your other thread that trying to reactivate Carbon on an aluminum pan eats the pan up.

Do this Outdoors on the barbecue with a stainless steel pan or cast iron.

The metal will still corrode a bit, but if you use thin aluminum the bottom will literally fall out of the pan.

OneLittleBubble said:
I heard that it can release carbon monoxide in massive amounts if done wrong. If you don't know carbon monoxide is extremely deadly and was used in gas chambers
Every year we have a few deaths in the winter because poor folks do not realize you can't heat your shack with charcoal.

When you heat it it can emit any toxic substance that it absorbed.

And when you burn it it just makes clouds of odorless suffocating CO.

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ulu said:
Every year we have a few deaths in the winter because poor folks do not realize you can't heat your shack with charcoal.

When you heat it it can emit any toxic substance that it absorbed.

And when you burn it it just makes clouds of odorless suffocating CO.
Thank you for the information. I will not be trying to renew my carbon.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it. They charge way too much for this stuff and so I recycle mine all the time.

I put it on a stainless steel baking sheet and let it sit in the hot sun.

Then after hit has sun-baked and doesn't smell at all, I put on the propane grill for 30 minutes.

I seal it up in a jar before it ever cools comepletely, so it doesn't start absorbing moisture out of the atmosphere right away.

I can recharge $30 worth of carbon for about $2 worth of propane and a little effort.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How to recycle carbon the proper way like a pro.
Step 1 Use it
Step 2 Take it out of filter when used up
Step 3 Take it outside
Step 4 Throw it away
Step 5 Go on amazon.com and buy some purigen.
This is not to make people mad it's supposed to be funny

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You maybe don't have a garden? . . . because if I don't want mine anymore that's where it goes. Flower pots or the garden.

I don't re-use it if I put it in to remove medicine.

By the way I'm a cranky old geezer and I almost got really mad there.

Kidding. I'm just kidding.

I've never seen a single person get mad on this forum ever. Am I missing all the hot action somewhere?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom