RCS versus ghost shrimp Question

1. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Hi, if you look at my stocking plans in my profile, you will note that I am currently planning on ultimately getting red cherry shrimp in our 30 galling tank. Yes, I know that we would need hiding places for them such as java moss. How much java moss would one need for a colony of 30 RCS plus possible fry etc.? I also know that I will need to cover the filter intake with a sponge or at least a stocking (I may be getting a new better filter before getting the shrimp too). yes, I know the shrimp are a risk - my stocking plans are otherwise very conservative thus far, and the shrimp are the most risky part of the plan.

When we went to the pet store the other day to acquire our bristlenose pleco, my six year old son admired the ghost shrimp, and thus he was wondering if we could get ghost shrimp either in addition to or instead of red cherry shrimp. I did a bit of research and discovered that ghost shrimp are more aggressive and may kill red cherry shrimp, correct? Also while ghost shrimp are more available in pet stores, red cherry shrimp are less sensitive / more hardy, right? So given that, I am tempted to explain to my son that red cherry shrimp are a much better option for us than ghost shrimp, and that we could not have both. However, I wanted to verify with you first whether you agree with this, and whether you have any additional info to add on this subject.

Finally, thus far I am planning on java moss as the plant for the shrimp to hide in, but if you have alternative suggestions, please let me know. We have sand substrata and two fluorescent light bulbs that are 18 watts each in our 30 gallon tank, so given all that, I assume that we cannot grow dwarf hairgrass, or can we? Also I have seen those ball shaped plant clusters that are actually balls of algea, "Moss balls", could we have one of those? Or is java moss pretty much the best option for us?

Thanks!

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

By zebra fish, do you mean zebra danios? It's important to know what species you have.

RCS can only survive and be expected to thrive with fish that will not consume them. The pleco and corys will be fine. If you have small fish or fish that have fry in this tank, ghost shrimp will eat them. Don't know if the ghost shrimp will consume RCS.

I have my RCS with corys, assassin snails and otos. Everyone but the otos is spawning in this tank.

You do need lots of java moss. The best way I've found is to have a bunch of it floating high in the tank. But RCS love to travel the entire tank. Might not be the best choice for your tank.

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Your Ghost shrimp will the RCS babies along with the fish fry.

4. OP
    OP
    J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Yes, I have zebra danios. Thanks for the advice. All this confirms in my mind that ghost shrimp do not sound like the right ones for us. I still would like to get the RCS even though I know it is a risk. Thanks!

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I have RCS in my tank with fish and I initially bought 20 and only saw 5 at a time, always thought they got eaten, until recently I upgraded to a bigger tank and was transferring all the residents then I saw my RCSs were multiplying. Just make sure you have lots of plants/moss for them to hide in.