RCS turning yellow?

1. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Cleaned out much of the guppy grass from my shrimp tank so I can actually see the shrimp. What a concept, huh?

Anyway, I am noticing many of the shrimp have a pale yellow color instead of the expected red. They are RCS after all.

They are too small for my camera to focus on.

2. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I see them too.

The males in my RCS tank look similar. They have just a hint of red, and unless you look realllllly close, they look yellow.

I'm pretty sure it's normal.

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I would increase the amount of color enhancing food in their diet.
    I had that happen here as well, in a tank that was most veggie eatters, that also had cherry shrimp.

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks guys!

They get mostly fresh vegys (cucumber, zucchini, melon). I also offer them algae wafers, vegy wafers, sinking pellets. Wonder if color enhancing flakes could help?

5. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I should have mentioned that their color returned upon the feeding of shrimp pellets.

Cannibalism at it's finest.

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Mine are red, they get veggies, algea wafers, shrimp pellets and what ever algea they might find in the tank. Plus whatever they steal from the guppies.

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Then looks like their next feeding with be shrimp pellets!

8. SJ408 Initiate Member

Color variations are typical with neos aren't they? They throw morphs every now and then.

9. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Accept that I know the breeders of this line of RCS (a cross between 2 members on this forum) and they have not thrown any yellows before.

10. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Results from shrimp pellets?

11. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I will have to get back to you on that. I'd already given them half a vegy wafer last night. Tonight will be shrimp pellets.

LOL...I cannot believe I have so many RCS that they now consume half a wafer in less than 12 hours!

12. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I can. :p

I feed 'em shrimp pellets too. Maybe that's why mine are so red... of course, the fact that the original stock came from Harpua2002 doesn't hurt.

13. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

That's true Zee! My shrimp came from Rogue and he used a couple of different individuals. You may be one of them.

I am definitely going to start feeding them more shrimp pellet. I thought they were more vegy eaters...lol

Figure I must be doing something right. Rogue sent me about a dozen last January. And the phrase population explosion doesn't even come close to describing how quickly they multiply!

14. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Indeed I am. :) We traded, plants for shrimp.

They are veggy eaters but they're also omnivorous. They'll eat a dead snail or Oto when one decides to kick the bucket.

They are quite the proflic breeders! I'm glad they are, since I'm willing to bet money that most of Fishlorians' RCS are either mine or descended from them. That's a very cool thought.

15. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

There you go! The secret is shrimp pellets. ;) I've also noticed that the RCS in my Fire Belly Newt's tank is pretty red and I don't feed them anything since that's not my breeder tank. All I do is drop in some frozen bloodworms for the newts. The RCS have been in there for at least two months.

I wonder if frozen bloodworms will work too. In other words, meat is what makes them red?

16. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

That may be true Zee! I know when I tried the Repash food, I gave them some of the Meaty and some of the Algae formulas. And the RCS attacked both. Guess I should have picked up the clue....they liked the meaty version...lol

17. Legures Member Member

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but what kind of brand food do you feed your RCS?

I remembered reading that copper sulfate is okay for the shrimp if they consume it but I wasn't sure.

18. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I would actually be interested to know that as well...(It okay if it's a co-hijack, right? ;) ) I have shrimp pellets but they contain copper sulfate so I haven't fed my shrimp any yet.

19. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I have Omega One Shrimp pellets; Repashy gel; Algae Wafers and Vegy Wafers from AngelsPlus. And I also feed cucumber slices, zucchini slices, raw green beans and add garlic to foods.

I am a firm believer in variety.

Am also considering trying frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp and even frozen Cichlid Delight which is a turkey/beef heart product.

My RCS are currently in a 2.5G. Once the planted 5G stabilizes they will be moved.

Hope that helps.

20. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Wow took me a long time to find this thread haha!

My RCS are a result of two normal RCS batches, one from Zeez :), and one 'super red' RCS batch which I imported from Myanmar/Burma. Mine never get any color enhancing foods. I kinda like it how the males are kind of peach or light reddish yellow colored. It's how I tell the difference between them all lol. Most of my older males look like full grown females with yellowish stripes. I'm glad your shrimp pellets seem to be making their color brighter!