RCS substrate options?

vasilias

Is it a bad idea to use a thin layer of organic potting soil capped with fluval stratum for a RCS only tank?

I've read that the organics that break down may cause harm to the shrimp, however some sites
actually recommend it.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
vasilias said:
Is it a bad idea to use a thin layer of organic potting soil capped with fluval stratum for a RCS only tank?

I've read that the organics that break down may cause harm to the shrimp, however some sites
actually recommend it.
richiep I'm interested if you have knowledge on this.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
I won't back out of this one, the simple answer is I dont know and I dont know what affect a thin layer is supposed to do, there are some first class purpose made soils out there that do the job tried and tested if the idea is for planted tanks, even though it says organic what is actually in it,
I use Flora base pro in all my shrimp tanks which is a soil and ive never put ferts in any of them, if you use organic soil for planted tanks you will still have to use ferts so why do it, i will attach a few photos of my tanks just to show what can be achieved if you like, out of curiosity what is the reason behind this layer.

OP
vasilias

vasilias

This is my first planted tank so I can’t speak out of experience however, based on some forum posts and a specific youtuber I watch, putting a thin layer of organic potting mix on the bottom of the tank is a very cheap and effective way to start the growth of plants. Of course though, this wouldn’t be a replacement for ferts. Like I said it’s a thin layer of potting mix, probably around a quarter inch, the plants are important but I would much rather prioritize the health of the fauna.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
its up to you but id go straight for a substrait thats going to do the job, im not saying this wont work as ive little or no knowledge of this

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
vasilias said:
This is my first planted tank so I can’t speak out of experience however, based on some forum posts and a specific youtuber I watch, putting a thin layer of organic potting mix on the bottom of the tank is a very cheap and effective way to start the growth of plants. Of course though, this wouldn’t be a replacement for ferts. Like I said it’s a thin layer of potting mix, probably around a quarter inch, the plants are important but I would much rather prioritize the health of the fauna.
I have planted tanks with my shrimp. Fluval stratum and eco complete.

Personally I trust what richiep says about shrimp I haven't seen him guide people wrong yet (including myself) they have extensive knowledge and take their time to share with the world.. I dont think your getting the benefit from soil you believe you will. As stated above there are a handful of good substrates made for plants and shrimp.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
vasilias said:
Sand is cheap too. It's working well in my tanks, though I use pool filter sand instead of the generic sand from the home improvement stores. It costs a little more (still less than $10.00 for a 50 pound bag), but requires little to no cleaning, and I like the texture better.

OP
vasilias

vasilias

Thanks for the help guys, I think i’m going to go ahead and go with it only because i don’t want to have to rescape. Other than what other people say from their personal experience I don’t know if it will provide the plants with anything either, however as long as it doesn’t threaten the shrimp I think it should be fine to try it out.. Regardless though there is still far more stratum in the tank.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Let us know how it works out for tank plants & shrimp on this thread
Best of luck

New Threads