RCS Slowly Dying Off for No Apparent Reason?

Parker89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI all!

I just started an aquarium a couple of months ago, started with a fishless cycle, this is my first aquarium so it’s been a learning process. My tank is moderately planted, with a large piece of driftwood. I have RCS and guppies plus a couple snails.

Water parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 6.8-7
KH 2
GH 5-6
TDS 250ppm (150 out of the faucet)
Temp 78 normally, 85 right now for ich

I normally do a 50% PWC 1x a week, right now I’m doing it daily for ich treatment.

I started out with 6 male guppies and 5 RCS. Some of the shrimp disappeared and I was only seeing 2 regularly, so I wanted more. Almost 2 weeks ago I ordered 20 more RCS and 3 German blue rams. The rams developed ich after arrival and since I couldn’t find meds locally and had to wait for them to ship, I lost all 3 rams. I’m still treating my guppies for ich with Ich X and doing large water changes daily per the instructions. Temp is normally 78 but I slowly bumped it to 85 for the ich treatment.

So anyway, I’m losing shrimp about 1 per day. It might be related to the ich treatment but I lost a couple from the first batch prior to that so I’m wondering if there’s something else I’m doing wrong? I feed Omega One super color flakes to the fish with some bloodworms occasionally and I’ve just let the shrimp feed on the leftovers and the decaying plant matter, algae etc.

Also I’m wondering about my TDS, it seems high in comparison to my replacement water, could that be from the Ich X? Or just decaying food? I don’t use a lot of supplements other than Prime to treat replacement water. I have been using root tabs for my plants.

I also just bought Glasgarten Mineral Junkie Pearls, thinking maybe it was a molting issue? I’ve seen the ring of death on a shrimp, but I thought a gH of 5-6 was adequate?

Any suggestions are welcome! I don’t know if it’s even possible but I’m trying to balance keeping my shrimp healthy with the rams need for softer water (I’ll be getting replacements) so I don’t know if I need to start using some RO water for my water changes and supplementing with the mineral junkie pearls regularly or something else entirely, I’m not really sure what to do. I love the shrimp so I want to try and get things right for them! And I don’t want to lose anything else! Luckily the guppies are really tolerant of my inexperience!

Isalie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Parker89 said:
HI all!

I just started an aquarium a couple of months ago, started with a fishless cycle, this is my first aquarium so it’s been a learning process. My tank is moderately planted, with a large piece of driftwood. I have RCS and guppies plus a couple snails.

Water parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 6.8-7
KH 2
GH 5-6
TDS 250ppm (150 out of the faucet)
Temp 78 normally, 85 right now for ich

I normally do a 50% PWC 1x a week, right now I’m doing it daily for ich treatment.

I started out with 6 male guppies and 5 RCS. Some of the shrimp disappeared and I was only seeing 2 regularly, so I wanted more. Almost 2 weeks ago I ordered 20 more RCS and 3 German blue rams. The rams developed ich after arrival and since I couldn’t find meds locally and had to wait for them to ship, I lost all 3 rams. I’m still treating my guppies for ich with Ich X and doing large water changes daily per the instructions. Temp is normally 78 but I slowly bumped it to 85 for the ich treatment.

So anyway, I’m losing shrimp about 1 per day. It might be related to the ich treatment but I lost a couple from the first batch prior to that so I’m wondering if there’s something else I’m doing wrong? I feed Omega One super color flakes to the fish with some bloodworms occasionally and I’ve just let the shrimp feed on the leftovers and the decaying plant matter, algae etc.

Also I’m wondering about my TDS, it seems high in comparison to my replacement water, could that be from the Ich X? Or just decaying food? I don’t use a lot of supplements other than Prime to treat replacement water. I have been using root tabs for my plants.

I also just bought Glasgarten Mineral Junkie Pearls, thinking maybe it was a molting issue? I’ve seen the ring of death on a shrimp, but I thought a gH of 5-6 was adequate?

Any suggestions are welcome! I don’t know if it’s even possible but I’m trying to balance keeping my shrimp healthy with the rams need for softer water (I’ll be getting replacements) so I don’t know if I need to start using some RO water for my water changes and supplementing with the mineral junkie pearls regularly or something else entirely, I’m not really sure what to do. I love the shrimp so I want to try and get things right for them! And I don’t want to lose anything else! Luckily the guppies are really tolerant of my inexperience!
Same thing is happening with me I find 1 every morning. For me it was a molting problem but It Can be so much. Hope you find out What’s happening with yours!

OP
P

Parker89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I drip acclimated when they arrived. Here are some photos, sorry for the dead shrimp photo but it looks like it’s partially molted so maybe an indicator of the issue:
29612214-2B16-4623-B03B-EA0DA894CC70.jpeg
E2DFF4EA-A075-4525-B7C3-F620EDE4B444.jpeg
733DCB3C-1F2E-4BB0-84E0-7009F755AD93.jpeg
E33E8BFB-ACF1-45BD-888B-B442E0B272A7.jpeg
9DA28369-307E-435C-AA23-816C421D2A62.jpeg
318CFFFB-965B-447E-A665-D4EB1196782D.jpeg
5280D7C6-3117-43E4-9A19-83E2B8353AFF.jpeg
8B843877-CDD7-421D-A1FD-BFD948024DC2.jpeg

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The dead shrimp has a yellow / white stripe near it's head which is an indicator of a molt problem in your shrimp.
You need to add more calcium to the water, like cuttlebone, boiled egg shells and commercial shrimp food that must contain lots of calcium for the shrimp to help them molt easily.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI parker it so nice to find someone supplying the correct information to make it easier to diagnose your problems, and with the information supplied, there's no need for photos, ill go through and tell you exactly what it killing your shrimp, you have had the white line this is caused by shock which in your case is the 50%water changes you do weekly this alone will kill them but youve increased this to daily this is a death sentence to all your shrimp, with shrimp no more than 15% weekly.
Next temperature by increasing it to 85f you are slowly cooking them recommended 72f to 76f max
Next ichx x is a chemical all chemicals kill shrimp if overdosed or used in small amounts so this is a problem Blue rams are a Cichlid as you know and they will eat shrimp had they lived.
you are right in saying ich x will rise your TDS but i'm not sure by how much along with anything decaying in the tank.
your water parameters as they are are borderline for cherries, a lower GH would cause moult issues and this may have been lower before you started using ich x and the shrimp would have had the white line. your replacement water would need a few tests for me to work out if anything is needed.
for the remaining shrimp if its possible i'd remove them to a mature tank if you have one but they would need to be dripped very slowly, I noticed some pictures come up as i'm typing and even though the 1st & 3rd look good I don't hold much hope for them, work with what i'v given you and sorry it's not what you want to hear, any questions please just ask away i'm always online with other shrimpers who are capable of answering shrimp questions for you.

OP
P

Parker89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sprinkle said:
The dead shrimp has a yellow / white stripe near it's head which is an indicator of a molt problem in your shrimp.
You need to add more calcium to the water, like cuttlebone, boiled egg shells and commercial shrimp food that must contain lots of calcium for the shrimp to help them molt easily.
Good to know, thank you so much! Do you have experience with the Glasgarten Mineral Junkie Pearls? Are they any good? I’ll also try some commercial shrimp food and cuttlebone, that’s easy enough to add.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
forget about cuttlebone and egg shells they'll do you no good what so ever, I use mineral junkie in all my shrimp tanks they get the minerals to where they are supposed to be and that's in the shrimp, they do help condition your shrimp to moult but you have multiple issues to cover

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
forget about cuttlebone and egg shells they'll do you no good what so ever, I use mineral junkie in all my shrimp tanks they get the minerals to where they are supposed to be and that's in the shrimp, they do help condition your shrimp to moult but you have multiple issues to cover
Thank god richie. I don't think I would make it on my own. Thanks again. I'm sure the shrimp have a molt problem. Am I right?

OP
P

Parker89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
HI parker it so nice to find someone supplying the correct information to make it easier to diagnose your problems, and with the information supplied, there's no need for photos, ill go through and tell you exactly what it killing your shrimp, you have had the white line this is caused by shock which in your case is the 50%water changes you do weekly this alone will kill them but youve increased this to daily this is a death sentence to all your shrimp, with shrimp no more than 15% weekly.
Next temperature by increasing it to 85f you are slowly cooking them recommended 72f to 76f max
Next ichx x is a chemical all chemicals kill shrimp if overdosed or used in small amounts so this is a problem Blue rams are a Cichlid as you know and they will eat shrimp had they lived.
you are right in saying ich x will rise your TDS but i'm not sure by how much along with anything decaying in the tank.
your water parameters as they are are borderline for cherries, a lower GH would cause moult issues and this may have been lower before you started using ich x and the shrimp would have had the white line. your replacement water would need a few tests for me to work out if anything is needed.
for the remaining shrimp if its possible i'd remove them to a mature tank if you have one but they would need to be dripped very slowly, I noticed some pictures come up as i'm typing and even though the 1st & 3rd look good I don't hold much hope for them, work with what i'v given you and sorry it's not what you want to hear, any questions please just ask away i'm always online with other shrimpers who are capable of answering shrimp questions for you.
Thank you for your reply, that is sad news! I knew that the rams might eat some smaller shrimp but I thought with enough plants they would still be able to keep a steady population. I’m almost done with ich treatment so if I can keep them alive that long I can reduce water change amounts, maybe that will help. I’ve heard rams also prefer smaller water changes. Can I compromise by doing 15% water change 2x a week? Or still too much? Just want to make sure I’m also keeping the tank clean. I think to start out with I was overfeeding the fish so I’m cutting my feeding back which might help not needing such a large water change.

richie.p said:
I'm glad I’ve done one thing right then, I received my mineral junkie pearls in the mail yesterday and started feeding yesterday evening so maybe that will give them a boost! So thankful for all the wonderful advice!

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sprinkle said:
Thank god richie. I don't think I would make it on my own. Thanks again. I'm sure the shrimp have a molt problem. Am I right?
They do have a moult problem but it's working out how and why this as happening by reading what I've put will help you in future, assess and diagnose easier hope this helps

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
IchX is usually shrimp safe. Myself and others have used it successfully, that said, your shrimp may be sensitive to it.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can do two 15% weekly but the secret is to add it at a very very slowly this method will allow them to acclitimise, the other thing I know blue rams need a well mature tank so it maybe worth asking coralbandit on this

Brizburk said:
IchX is usually shrimp safe. Myself and others have used it successfully, that said, your shrimp may be sensitive to it.
I agree with you it only becomes a problem like all safe meds and shrimp overdose will kill

OP
P

Parker89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Brizburk said:
Yes the reviews I read prior to ordering claimed it was shrimp safe so I was really hopeful. Have you used it successfully with the water temp raised as well, and no shrimp loss? Maybe I’m losing shrimp exclusively due to molting issues, not related to the ich treatment. Although I’m sure if they’re already low on calcium the elevated temps and IchX might aggravate the problem.

richie.p said:
You can do two 15% weekly but the secret is to add it at a very very slowly this method will allow them to acclitimise, the other thing I know blue rams need a well mature tank so it maybe worth asking coralbandit on this
Excellent advice I did not realize they were so sensitive to the water change! Thank you so much! I will definitely be managing things differently from now on, now that I know.

Brizburk said:
Also, can you tell me if you dosed it daily without the water changes recommended on the bottle? If large water changes stress the shrimp, would it be better to use the IchX daily without the water changes, or does that just cause a toxic buildup of chemical?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This on the bottle alone would stop me using ich x with my shrimp
use caution and observe carefully when treating aquariums with invertebrates. Immediate 50% or larger, water changes (using Ultimate to treat the...

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
They do have a moult problem but it's working out how and why this as happening by reading what I've put will help you in future, assess and diagnose easier hope this helps
Thank you richie.p I appreciate it a lot :)

richie.p said:
This on the bottle alone would stop me using ich x with my shrimp
use caution and observe carefully when treating aquariums with invertebrates. Immediate 50% or larger, water changes (using Ultimate to treat the...
Same, I check everything what contains what so it doesn't kill my shrimp. For example, I use Tetra's ferts PlantaMin, and I heard people saying that most ferts have copper in them, but PlantaMin doesn't and shrimp don't care about it.
I don't use much PlantaMin at once and I don't use it quite often, after few days after putting ferts in I do partial water change and I have never had any problems.

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Question? Will ICH attach themselves to shrimp? If not remove the fish the ICH will die off on its own because it has nothing to feed on. I seem to remember that ICH dies off after two weeks.

Course this is not valid if ICH will attack shrimp.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shrimp don't catch ich but the tomont will adhere to a shrimps shell and hatch when ready not affecting the shrimp but starting the ich cycle all over again,

New Threads