Rcs Shrimp Saddle?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Kiks, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Kiks

Kiks Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone,

About 2 weeks ago I bought five RCS from my local store. I bought them because I really like shrimp (I also have 4 Amanos) and in the hopes that they might breed!
    When I had acclimated them and let them out, I saw that some were more red than others and some looked more like females or males than others. This was all good to me, since I wanted baby shrimp. None of them seemed to have developed saddles when I got them, but one definitely has now.
    It looks like the saddle is getting bigger. It might have stopped growing now, but during perhaps one week it has grown and the yellow color has been taking up more and more space inside it. As that has been happening it seems like the red color has sort of disappeared from its back and is now transparent. It sort of looks like its skin has been stretched and the color has gone... I don't know how to explain this properly. All I really want to know is: does this sound normal?

I'm gonna post a bunch of pictures below, so you can see what's going on!

Thanks in advance for any help or comments!

2. Summer22

Summer22 Valued Member Member

Hiya!

I'm also the proud owner of first time red cherry shrimp! I have a female with a saddle that looks exactly like your's. I'm curious to know how long before the saddle gets fertilized as it passes to under-belly? None of my male shrimp have shown interest in her yet. So cool to watch all this though isn't it?

3. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

Your saddled female will let pheromones out within a couple of hours of malting which will draw the males to her for mating and then she will become berried, it can sometimes takes awhile for her to malt.

4. Summer22

Summer22 Valued Member Member

Thanks!

5. OP
    OP
    Kiks

Yeah, it's definitely cool to watch! I'm enjoying my shrimp a lot and thinking of making my smaller 14 gallon aquarium into a shrimp-only tank. The one they're in now is a 30 gallon.
    At least one of my RCS have molted as I found the remains, but I am not sure if it's from this shrimp or another.
    Do they have to molt in order to release the pheromones?

I'm experiencing the same as you, Summer22 - my male shrimp don't seem to show any interest in my female!

6. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

Yes they have to malt before the mating process begins as they can not malt while berried (25-30 days)

7. OP
    OP
    Kiks

Okay, that makes sense! Well, then I hope the shell-thingy is from her. I guess if it is, they'll be breeding any time. Is there a way to know if my male RCS are sexually mature?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice