RCS questions

1. tabshire95 Member Member

I just dropped my first five little cherry shrimp in my new planted 2 gallon tank. Is there anything I can use to feed them besides just algae growth? Do they prefer anything to help boost their diet? I feel like them eating random particles just isnt enough. Or maybe I'm wrong haha thats the jist of my question, do I need to feed them anything or will the plants and light supply them with a food source?

2. PedroThePie Member Member

I use the fluval shrimp food, but theres also this that I havent tried yet on ebay, oh, and if you ever need more shrimp, I highly suggest this seller if you LFS doesn't have any.
    Algae wafers are nice too when you don't have much algae, basically any kind will do, just get a brand thats extremely low in copper or has none at all. While everything alive needs copper, inverts can hardly stand them.

3. tabshire95 Member Member

I might go with algae wafers. seems like the right path for the little buggers considering thats a staple for them anyways. THere is ten of them should I drop in like one every week or few days or what?

4. PedroThePie Member Member

If its the rounded flat ones then I'd just break the big piece into smaller ones and throw it in daily, just 2 whole pieces broken up for this setting would work, I think, since you have only 10. The next day uou can give one if you saw any remains.

5. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

If you have 10 shrimp then break the algae wafer into 1/4ths and only feed one of these 1/4 size pieces every 2-3 days. Shrimp don't eat much. If you over feed you will have problems with planaria, water parameters, etc. You can also supplement with blanched veggies like zucchini, spinach, leafy greens, etc.

6. PedroThePie Member Member

whoops forgot this was a 2 gal. I'm so used to 10 gal. tanks. Go with what Dolfan said for sure

7. tabshire95 Member Member

Cool I just got a big fresh organic zuchini from a neighbors garden. I'm sure they'll enjoy that! they swarmed the quarter of the algae wafer already! Its amazing how happy these little gys are they just came in today and they're just having a ball in the tank.

8. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Which Seller? I'm looking 4 Cherry Shrimp & how many should I start out with?

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You can grow algae for them in rocks & stones, just put some in tank water on a sunny window ledge & leave it until it has a nice green coating.
    My shrimp go nuts for it & have it cleared of algae in just a few hours.
    I also use Hikari shrimp cuisine a couple of times a week

10. smee82 Well Known Member Member

My RCS go wild swimming through the microworms and will chase of my CPDs and Dario Darios when i feed blood worms.

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405760072.369540.jpg

Feeding them ordinary fishfood and vegs !!!
    Started with three. With sold and this population I think I've kept more than a thousand hahaha. They teally breed like rabits. These are under a shower of a Cory-pellet falling apart !!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405760199.910062.jpg

12. PedroThePie Member Member

The seller who sold the shrimp booster food, he sells them by 12 though. Got mine from him, active lil'guys.
    As for how many, depends on the size tank. They love plants, so anything with that over 5 gal. should be good for the amount he sends imo.

13. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

EricV Sells them regularly in the Buy, Sell, Trade section of this forum. He has a good price for them and they are good quality. You can also find many sold at aquabid. I bought 20+2 Red Rili for $30 total from here, as well as the RCS from EricV here.

14. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry too used to texting. 4 meaning for. I'm looking for about 10 Cherry Shrimp. Who is the seller & how do I reach him? I've already private messaged Eric but he hasn't been on this site since May.

15. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

If you click on the underlined "seller" in the quoted part from PedroThePie, it will take you right to the link for the shrimp. I also bought from that seller and they came very active and healthy.

I am not a shrimp color grading expert, but based on what I've seen, I would grade their color as Fire. Definitely more colorful than the Sakura grade.