RCS not breeding

1. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Hey all! So I have about 7 or 8 RCS mostly of the fire red grade. I have several females and I believe I have a male or two but no eggs.

5 gallon
    Only RCS and MTS
    Indian almond leaf litter
    Small chunk of cuddlebone
    Driftwood
    Live plants
    Sand substrate

Ammonia 0 - 0.10
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 0 - 5

The only thing I can think of is the temp. Its 78-80F. Preset heater. It's at work so I can't leave the heater unplugged since the building temp gets really cold when we're closed. I'm not sure about the summer, but in spring/winter/fall the temp gets around 50F during off hours and weekends.

Thanks for the help

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd guess it's the temperature, mine breed non stop around 74

3. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Same for me at 76. I have 4 or 5 expecting at the moment. Do you happen to know gh and kh? Also what are you feeding them?

4. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I have tested the gh and kh but the numbers are escaping me. The water is hard like my tanks at home (this one is at work). I believe they're both 120+ and the TDS is around 200.

I do have indian almond leaf litter and a piece of cuddle bone in there.

I'm feeding them national geographic shrimp and lobster pellets as their main diet and I'll supplement with algae wafers and veggies (they haven't been eating the cucumber so I'm going to try the zucchini again since they ate that last time.

One of them did have ellobiopsidae but they're removed and in QT.

5. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Well, that rules out those thoughts (lack of food or lack of them not liking the water)... Are they at least saddled?

6. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have the Red Sakura Cherry shrimp and they are breeding out of control.
    I DID have some of them die off from the first batch I got in November/December.

Then in March, after only having one male and one female left, she had about 15 babies ( she died the same day )

Those babies were born 3/6/16 - then those babies had babies on 5/20/16.
    More babies born on 6/5/16.

My tank parameters:
    5 gallon ( with about 60 pleco's - babies born on 2/17/16 - parents have been moved/rehomed )
    Temps 74/75
    0/0/5
    PH - 7.8 +

I give them food every day ( algae wafers, shrimp pellets, zucchini ) and once a week bloodworms, baby brine shrimp and Daphnia )

I am guessing the temps in your tank as well. Other than that, maybe the ammonia. that you have???????
    How long have you had them?

Are any of them saddled? Molting ( A sign that she is ready to breed )

7. Geoff Well Known Member Member

That's so sad! Is that what typically happens? They have babies and die?

8. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know - that was the first mother I have noticed that has died. She was from the first batch I got in November and all of her family died except now I only have the dad from that batch.
    So far, I know two other mom shrimp's having babies and they are still alive. I have 4 more mother's that are due any day! :)

9. Geoff Well Known Member Member

I have one!

[​IMG]

10. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I had one that was berried from my first batch and ready to pop. No babies and she disappeared.

I have to retest my water on monday because I believe the ammonia issue has been finally solved/cycled. But I'm getting 5 new painted red shrimp for free from the supplier I buy from.

I dose with prime every day except weekends when I'm not there. I do 25-40% pwc twice a week (tues and fri).

I believe one is currently berried (pic below) but she's so red I can't really see in her pod to confirm.

[​IMG]

11. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

If we are posting a pic of one of our berried RCS here's mine :p [​IMG] and here's a baby [​IMG][​IMG]
    Here's a better pic even thou it doesn't really look like she is berried she is[​IMG]
    Even better pic! [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Kwig Well Known Member Member

What snails are those? The shells are beautiful!

13. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Definitely looks like she could be berried. It looks like she's larger than normal :) Hopefully she is!

14. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

You don't need to dose prime every day. Are you doing water changes every day?

It's hard to tell if she is berried - she does not appear to have a saddle - you might want to observe her when she is upside down on a plant or something - thats usually the easiest way to tell and you will see her eggs if she is, they will be yellow.

15. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Or green ;)

16. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I've watched her for such a long time. She basically never turns upside down lol. Extremely hard to see it. I think I saw a glimpse once but wasn't sure on it.

Those snails are Malaysian Trumpet Snails or MTS. They're considered "pest" snails because they multiply like mad. I like them because they stir my sand for me.

I dose prime every day to detoxify the ammonia until it's processed. I do large water changes twice a week.

I did cycle filter media to process 1ppm ammonia in a bucket and recently added it to the tank. I need to retest the water to see if it worked :) if it did then I'll stop dosing prime. I was also adding stability but I ran out.

17. Kwig Well Known Member Member

Mine have light bluish shells. I want striped ones!

18. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Update:

I was doing a small water change after cleaning the filter and saw something flying around the tank... looked closer and to my surprise...

[​IMG]

BABY RCS!!! I'M SO EXCITED!! Its so tiny!!! I hope there's more! Yay! In the photo its to the right of the baby snail lol

19. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I'd put money on there being more around the tank :) Usually if you have one out, you have a ton you can't see.

20. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I only got around to finding 2. One was hanging out by momma. I'm so excited! Now I'm just unsure how I'm going to do water changes... maybe I'll skip the substrate vacuum and cup the water out. Maybe get a turkey baster? Hmm...