RCS help!

1. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Okay, so you guys know I had 40 RCS two weeks ago. Now I have 5 left. I have cuttlebone, almond leafs, ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 nitrate is 10, GH is 150 and KH is 120. My tank is fully cycled, it's a 40gal breeder. Lights on for 12 hours. Temp is 76. pH is 7. Lots of plants.

Here's the dead one [​IMG]
    Here's an alive one [​IMG]
    I feed them zucchini every other day. And algae pellets every other day.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Did you ever get the GH/KH kit in? Pics of the tubes testing the tap and testing the tank would be helpful, as mentioned in previous threads.

3. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

They got delayed

Do you think it's a molting problem?

4. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Do they get any meaty food? They are omnivorous and veggies are only a part of their diet.

Are you fertilizing your plants with anything that contains copper?

Only potential issues I've found while googling around.

5. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Nope not fertilizing any plants. They eat brine shrimp and blood worms as well. Here's a pic of a shell [​IMG]

6. Grimund Well Known Member Member

How long of a period did you lose the 35 RCS?

7. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

8. Grimund Well Known Member Member

C grade RCS? Curious if I'm right

They are a product of inbreeding and fragile. Maybe you had received a bad batch? Cannibalism?

I'm stumped and wishing I could help more, sorry :(

9. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

They are the highest quality shrimp. I received 40 bad ones? That's isn't likely, but thx for helping. I am so stumped right now:(

Here's a video of the tank https://vimeo.com/171005518

10. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I thought the more red was lower grade and less red with more white was higher grade. Google can lie, but I've seen it across different sites

11. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

It's the opposite lol

12. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Aren't they simply hidden ?

13. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Nope. I am finding dead ones every time. I am missing 9, but i moved everything

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Just to make sure, how did you cycle the tank before you added 40 RCS?

15. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

With gold barbs

I did the same thing on the other tank

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Without a recent test of your water parameters using a liquid test kit, we can't rule out water quality as an issue. Let us know when you get the kit in!

17. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

once i test it and get the kit i will let you know.

18. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Have you looked into parasites at all? I'm certainly no expert in shrimp keeping or diseases, but looking at that first video, there's definitely something coming out of the back of your shrimp. I have never seen mine have waste stay with them like that, long and stringy, so while not a huge help, that may be a clue.

19. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

You're thinking crystal red shrimp, not red cherry shrimp. RCS vs CRS

Bithimala, that just looks like a long string of poop to me, as it doesn't seem to be moving independently or reacting to any stimuli, like being dragged on the sand. I'm with you on possible parasite though, with that many deaths, and obvious molting I don't think it's a water issue.

20. Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Salt bathing works to remove some parasites (worked for my shrimps who had Scutariella japonica, some form of white worm on their head).

The way I did it was 1tbsp of salt per cup of water, dipping the shrimps only for 30 seconds. Most of the parasite was gone. I did it a second time the next day on the ones that still had parasites.

Because shrimp parasites seem to be able to (shortly) live off molts as well, you might want to remove molts from the tank for a few weeks. The cuttlebone will compensate for lost calcium.

Good luck, I hated seeing my shrimps die daily.

This is a good little article: http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015/05/12/parasites-in-freshwater-shrimp/