Rcs food

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
whats the best food for cherry shrimp and blue shrimp? rn I have sinking wafers for plecos that they eat but I want food that it more specialized for them and that will encourage breeding and will give them more variety. they r feeding off of the wood and filter and plants in my tank which is good but yeah please lmk! (preferably on amazon but if not its ok)

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can always feed them boiled & blanched veggies like cucumber, carrots, kale. Really good for them rather than always eating wafers

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They eat everything. I have some specialized shrimp food. But nothing I would recommend. They eat flakes, shrimp pellets,algae wafers of any type. I also blanch baby spinach leaves for they. There not fussy :).
Though when you mix red and blue some shrimplets will be brown. So you will need to cull them or the tank will go brown.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
They eat everything. I have some specialized shrimp food. But nothing I would recommend. They eat flakes, shrimp pellets,algae wafers of any type. I also blanch baby spinach leaves for they. There not fussy :).
Though when you mix red and blue some shrimplets will be brown. So you will need to cull them or the tank will go brown.
yeah I sadly know that I'm just gonna see what happens tho idk if that's smart or not but yeah

Hap

Reaction score
Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just have one question to ask...

I've been occasionally feeding my shrimp left-over Betta pellets (Betta passed away) which they seem to enjoy. But I just read the ingredients & saw it contained copper sulphate.

Should I be concerned about the copper sulphate?

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
Hap said:
Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just have one question to ask...

I've been occasionally feeding my shrimp left-over Betta pellets (Betta passed away) which they seem to enjoy. But I just read the ingredients & saw it contained copper sulphate.

Should I be concerned about the copper sulphate?
ummmm im not sure but i wouldnt feed them betta pellets. i recently bought dennerle shrimp food and oh my god it brings the color out of them like u wouldnt believe!!!

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The amount of copper in your pellet are fine for shrimp. Shrimp need trace amounts of copper. As do all living things

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The best food is creating bio film. Water plants are great, but not everyone is ready to get into plants although I do suggest the easiest, java moss. Drift wood is another way, as is cholla wood and Indian almond leaves, all easy to find on line and don't take up a lot of space in the tank. I also allow algae to grow on 3 sides of my tank, cleaning the front so I can watch them. If algae on the sides bothers you, then just leave one side and pretend you don't see it, lol. Sponge filter are also great once they have been going enough to get a bit dirty thus covered with bio film, my babies spend more time on those at first than anywhere else. it's the first place I see babies. Also rocks allowed to algae over are a bonus.

That being said, I also put in algae wafers and the shrimp love them. And I put in crushed flakes for my deformed guppy and what he doesn't eat, the shrimp gobble up, I see them eating them and even carrying them off to eat in private. Frozen brine shrimp are also a favorite, which I feed when I thaw them out for the big tank. I have also tried thawed out blood worms, shrimp pellets and various other foods, all of which are somewhat eaten, but not enough and end up having to be sucked out. I suggest you put in a feeding bowl, in my case a shallow glass voltive candle holder, putting the food in and see whats being eaten. with the food in an enclosed space, it's easy to remove if not eaten, I use a turkey baster, lol, before it effects your tank.

Just my personal experience.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
barbiespoodle said:
The best food is creating bio film. Water plants are great, but not everyone is ready to get into plants although I do suggest the easiest, java moss. Drift wood is another way, as is cholla wood and Indian almond leaves, all easy to find on line and don't take up a lot of space in the tank. I also allow algae to grow on 3 sides of my tank, cleaning the front so I can watch them. If algae on the sides bothers you, then just leave one side and pretend you don't see it, lol. Sponge filter are also great once they have been going enough to get a bit dirty thus covered with bio film, my babies spend more time on those at first than anywhere else. it's the first place I see babies. Also rocks allowed to algae over are a bonus.

That being said, I also put in algae wafers and the shrimp love them. And I put in crushed flakes for my deformed guppy and what he doesn't eat, the shrimp gobble up, I see them eating them and even carrying them off to eat in private. Frozen brine shrimp are also a favorite, which I feed when I thaw them out for the big tank. I have also tried thawed out blood worms, shrimp pellets and various other foods, all of which are somewhat eaten, but not enough and end up having to be sucked out. I suggest you put in a feeding bowl, in my case a shallow glass voltive candle holder, putting the food in and see whats being eaten. with the food in an enclosed space, it's easy to remove if not eaten, I use a turkey baster, lol, before it effects your tank.

Just my personal experience.
gotcha!!! i have a prefilter sponge that they love to graze on. i have driftwood java moss and a few ofher plants. also a coconut hide. they love to go all over picking little things off of it and stuff but i like to supplement them so that i know they r eating enough

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A highly recommended shrimp food is Bacter ae. It’s used maybe twice a month and adds stuff shrimp need and promotes bio-film.

Get the 35g not the 70g. It doesn’t have a long shelf life and you’ll never use 70g.

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Coconut hide?, interesting. I've haven't heard of that, and am now wondering if my little 20 gallon can fit one in since it is already moderately heavy planted and does have cholla wood, stones, driftwood, emersed pothos, peace lilies and begonia roots, ect. That's a thought for the future.

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don’t over complicate things. Bactur AE can be used at 1/4 scoop once a week. One way to use it is tank some tank water put it in cup dissolve the powered into the tank water then pour it in the tank. Other then that blanched Kale is good twice a week, or a veggie wafer.

New Threads