RCS first time owner

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Joel2036, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

Getting a dozen rcs tomorrow to put in my community tank, just wondering if you had any tips you have learnt from owning them, If there's anything else I should add to the tank ?

2. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

They need plenty of hiding places to avoid being eaten in a community tank. The do best in their own planted tank. And keep up on maintenance. They don't do well in an uncycled or unstable tank.

3. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

What do you? Have I put ten ghost shrimp in my semi-aggressive tank all dead within the hour.

4. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

I have a 20g with
    1 dwarf gourami
    6 guppies
    2 mollies
    2 panda cories

I have about 8 different plants in there a large hollow ceramic log
    I have plenty of cave decorations if they will help
    I will also be buying about 3 more plants tonight of my pay goes through to also put in the tank for more hiding places ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355990560.427013.jpg
    That is an old photo I have a lot more plants in there now and more will be added

5. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

The DG and Mollies may try to snack on the RCS, but with a heavily planted tank they should be OK. They can move very, very quickly when they choose too. (Sometimes mine sit on something I am trying to move, even when i gently nudge them with my fingers).

Most fish will eat the little baby shrimplets, but you should get a few survive. Plants like moss and tightly-bunched plants provide the best hiding places.

More photos, as always!

6. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks Yeoy ! Defiantly if I get the plants tonight I will defiantly post more photos ! If I can't find any java moss I know my LFS (which is open till midnight tonight :D) has some grass looking plants would I be better off getting a bunch of that for them to hide in or a tall plant with large leaves ?
    But will be defiantly posting a lot of photos tomorrow of my new babies, can't wait !! It's going to be an early Christmas for me !! :)

7. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Most grasses need high light, co2 and ferts. Not sure of you have the right setup. Java Moss is a great plant. Will grow just about anywhere. And shrimp love it!

8. Y

Agreed. If you get high care plants they will die off in the wrong setup.

I have a mossball and it is absolutely perfect for shrimp. See if you can find moss from a local breeder/aquariust. Try Gumtree, Petlink amd Facebook. Where are you located roughly? Jealous of your midnight LFS!

9. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

In in Sydney Australia, but I couldn't find any moss or anything similar :( they were pretty much sold out of everything !! But here is the plants I bought :)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356004551.398898.jpg
    1 banana plant and 3 others ones not sure what they are called tho

10. Y

Unfortunately we don't have as much commonly available as our American counterparts :(

Try looking online for moss maybe? Livefish.com.au or majesticaquariums.com.au ? There are a number of websites in Aus fairly cheap.

Tank looks great!

11. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

I got my RCS ! Woo :) I also got a little ball or java moss so I tied that onto a rock
    I also just purchased a ball of java moss the size of a tennis ball for 10 dollars off of eBay so hopefully it comes soon :)
    All 12 of them are in and seem to be ignored by the other fish ! Except the gourami he is a bit interested but the shrimp are way to fast for him :)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356043822.983959.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356043920.790388.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356044040.665074.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356044144.921074.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356044190.681188.jpg

12. Y

They look nice and red! Congrats.

I have my mossball floating loose inside one of those little mesh bags you get avocados and stuff in, with a suction cup holding the bag to the tank wall. Added bonus, the shrimp can get through the bag for extra safety.

13. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

I know what you mean Yeoy, it is really hard to find a good quality fish shop around here, I actually have one shop around here that does have quality stuff but they are so rude and ignorant !! I would rather go buy a sick betta and save his life from a bad fish shop then to go back there ! And they are so over priced !! I was going to get a small piece of anubias on a tiny terra cotta pot and he told me 75 dollars !

14. Y

I have found a few good ones down here, but the big chains with unknowledgeable staff are taking over. I think I will buy online from breeders for my next tank.

15. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

That's a pretty good idea with the bag I might give that a go, I haven't stopped staring at these shrimp ! I would love to put them into my tank with plakat betta but I don't think they would last very long :(

Where about are you Yeoy ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2012
  16. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

How many shrimp could I put in? Or is 12 about the limit ?
    Would snails clean the mess off of the glass ?

17. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

So count cherry's, or any neo, as 10 shrimp per gallon as far as bioload. Not sure how stocked your tank is so its hard to say how many to add. With fish its all upnto nature onnyour colony expanding. I fell for these guys so hard I now have 2 10g shrimp only tanks, a blue and and an orange, I love the baby shrimp army at meal time.

Nerites or another good algae eater might help with the glass, but its really on you. Try tweeking your light/fert/co2 balance a little for less glass growth, or an actualnalgae scrubbed. When I finally got one it made it silly easy. The pad is abrasive enough I just run it up the glass and good to go.

18. Y

I am in Wollongong Joel. I got the bag idea from the lady who sold me my RCS and moss-ball.

Shrimp are very fascinating. I watch mine (And their shrimplets) all the time. Most snails won't do a whole lot for your glass/algae. My tank is quite clean but I don't use ferts at all.

I don't know if we can get Nerites in Australia. Due to our fragile and unique ecosystem a lot of stuff can't be imported. I have certainly never seen nerites here at all. My Ramshorns breed easily and help eat what the shrimp won't.

As for shrimp, they should breed until the population fills the tank, then stop. 12 should be enough to start. I am sure with that many that you would have got mixed gender. Breeding will happen in no time.

19. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

I wish I had space for another tank in my bedroom I currently have 3 and no more space :p
    I would love to set up a ball shrimp tank with black sand and heavily planted !!!
    I don't have any fertilizer or co2 should I get some I currently have 7 tall plants, sorry for not know I'm just starting to get into plants and I'm so hooked on planted tanks, next one will be a jungle I promise ;) have you had any luck finding ghost shrimp or Amano shrimp around where you are ? I heard that they are a bit bigger ?

I know this isn't probably the place to ask but I have roots growing out of my filter intake !!!! Is that a bad thing ? I'm thinking eventually if they keep growing it will jam up the propellor ?

I wish my DG wasn't such a bully !! He is constantly looking for some dinner !! But I haven't seen him even get close to one yet they are way to fast for him !!

20. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Oh and my girlfriend is buying me a few apple/mystery snails for Christmas woo !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice