RCS failed molt

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
So my shrimp all molted over the last 2 days. I only have 5 at the moment. 4 went off without a hitch and 1 has the white ring. Trying to find possible causes. My Kh was 4.5 before adding spiderwood last week and it did go down ever so slightly. I'm using test strips but I would guess it's still around 4. Gh has gone up if anything, now sitting around 8-9. My Ph is sitting just under 7.0. Temp 74.

Is my Kh too low now? Could it be a diet problem? Old age? This shrimp is very large, just over 1 inch. It is fully grown at this point.

Hoping he escapes the molt within a day or two :(

Thanks.
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,878
Theres nothing wrong with any of those parameters the white ring dosnt nesserally mean she will die ,give her a chance
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
richiep said:
Theres nothing wrong with any of those parameters the white ring dosnt nesserally mean she will die ,give her a chance
Thanks richie, I appreciate the response. Peace of mind for now, fingers crossed
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,878
we all get a shrimp with the white ring from time to time its one of those things that happens, the most important thing is not to start messing with your water until all parameters are tested then and only then adjust things if you know theres a problem or as youve done reach out with a question.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
richiep said:
we all get a shrimp with the white ring from time to time its one of those things that happens, the most important thing is not to start messing with your water until all parameters are tested then and only then adjust things if you know theres a problem or as youve done reach out with a question.
Ah okay, sounds good. I'm still new to this so glad I didnt mess with anything :) out of curiosity, I plan on adding leaf litter and mystery snails to my tank and letting the plant matter decompose slowly over time. This is for my rasboras, I'd like to simulate their home environment if possible. Do you recommend putting a small piece of cuttlefish bone in my aquarium or will the shrimp adapt naturally? I have a 10g, just a small nano environment
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,878
Your shrimp will adapt people do put cuttle in their tanks but its slow to react but its entirely up to you, make sure the leaves are proven so they are not toxic to shrimp ill add a few to get you going that are safe,
Alder (leaves and cones)
Almond
Apple*
Apricot*
Ash
Banana*
Beech
Crabapple
Guava
Hibiscus
Indian Almond
Madrona
Maple
Mulberry
Oak
Peach*
Plum*
Poplar
Baby spinach
Stinging Nettles
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
richiep said:
Your shrimp will adapt people do put cuttle in their tanks but its slow to react but its entirely up to you, make sure the leaves are proven so they are not toxic to shrimp ill add a few to get you going that are safe,
Alder (leaves and cones)
Almond
Apple*
Apricot*
Ash
Banana*
Beech
Crabapple
Guava
Hibiscus
Indian Almond
Madrona
Maple
Mulberry
Oak
Peach*
Plum*
Poplar
Baby spinach
Stinging Nettles
Thanks for the awesome list, good to have for sure. I have maple and oak trees all over the place so I'll probably do maple, oak, and couple indian almond leaves. I think the tannins should disperse fairly slow that way since maple and oak are low in tannins to begin with and rot slowly, especially in 74 degree water. Only reason I would add cuttlefish bones is for my Kh but my tap water has a Kh of 4.5 so I might be okay just with my regular water changes anyways. Itll be slow so I can keep an eye on it

the white ring shrimp died sometime last night :(
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,878
Sorry for that you were obviously one of the unlucky ones, as I said your parameters are ok and nothing to worry about, if you think your having any shrimp problems try and take a close up photo this can tell a lot and do what tests you can, it may be worth thinking of putting another 5 shrimp in to give your colony a chance to get going
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,305
richiep said:
Your shrimp will adapt people do put cuttle in their tanks but its slow to react but its entirely up to you, make sure the leaves are proven so they are not toxic to shrimp ill add a few to get you going that are safe,
Alder (leaves and cones)
Almond
Apple*
Apricot*
Ash
Banana*
Beech
Crabapple
Guava
Hibiscus
Indian Almond
Madrona
Maple
Mulberry
Oak
Peach*
Plum*
Poplar
Baby spinach
Stinging Nettles
Love the list of options. Thanks.

Pfrozen said:
the white ring shrimp died sometime last night :(
Are you in the US? I would give you 5 or 10 of my cull cherrys (still nice) some sukura grade for free. Pay shipping.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
richiep said:
Sorry for that you were obviously one of the unlucky ones, as I said your parameters are ok and nothing to worry about, if you think your having any shrimp problems try and take a close up photo this can tell a lot and do what tests you can, it may be worth thinking of putting another 5 shrimp in to give your colony a chance to get going
Thanks, I'll definitely pick up more to give them a chance!

SanDiegoRedneck said:
Are you in the US? I would give you 5 or 10 of my cull cherrys (still nice) some sukura grade for free. Pay shipping.
Thanks but I'm in Canada! Appreciate the offer!

So I purchased 7 more shrimp for a total of 11 several days ago.. they've been very active and eating biofilm, water parameters have been steady at 0,0,5..... but another shrimp has the white line now. It looks lethargic like the last one so I don't think it'll make it. This one looks like the tail half of the molt came off but the head section is stuck

Is it time to investigate? Still just bad luck? Let me know if anyone has ideas or suggestions
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,878
I've talked people through the process of releasing the head section on crayfish with a failed moult but to try on a shrimp would be such a delicate process it would die so best to leave it take its course
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
richiep said:
I've talked people through the process of releasing the head section on crayfish with a failed moult but to try on a shrimp would be such a delicate process it would die so best to leave it take its course
Yea I think I'll do that, I'll leave the poor thing alone. I wonder what could be causing it? I also haven't had a single berried female which is weird. My rasboras would likely eat the fry anyways but I would have seen the fry or the berries at some point I'm sure, I'm always looking at my zen garden
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
Okay, I woke up this morning to a third white line. This will be the third in maybe a week. Something is definitely killing my shrimp.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them. My Gh and Kh is perfectly fine as are my parameters

:(
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,305
Pfrozen said:
Okay, I woke up this morning to a third white line. This will be the third in maybe a week. Something is definitely killing my shrimp.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them. My Gh and Kh is perfectly fine as are my parameters

:(
Sorry to hear this. Following for my own knowledge.

If you haven't discarded shrimp yet. Put in water and take close up pictures for richiep to look at.
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,878
how old is that one and the others that have died?
You sure we not looking at the same shrimp
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
Yea the last one had different coloration. I thought I had my tank running for decent amount of time but it looks like it's only been running for 1 month. All parameters are stable and steady though. I honestly have no clue how old they are but for some reason they grow absolutely huge in like a week and molt constantly. I let them eat biofilm for the most part and only feed them a couple shrimp pellets once a week for protein. I've tried giving them banana, mulberry leaves, melon, and cantaloupe so far but they won't touch it

I can post a full ICP analysis of my tap water down to parts per trillion if that helps
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #21
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
What the heck???????? I checked out those shrimp pellets and they contain copper and cobalt. And chicken? Basically what you would find in dog food. But it's fish food, what in the world? Is this what's killing my shrimp?

Literally dog food labelled as fish food

IMG_20200821_104815.jpg
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,878
If its only a month thats the problem it needs 3 months for stability and biofilm to take a good hold, leave it run for another 6 weeks before adding anything else, you shrimp went in to early and you're still seeing the affects
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #24
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
richiep said:
If its only a month thats the problem it needs 3 months for stability and biofilm to take a good hold, leave it run for another 6 weeks before adding anything else, you shrimp went in to early and you're still seeing the affects
I was afraid of that. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely make sure to keep future tanks running for at least 3 months before I add anything. Is there anything I can do for the shrimp I have in there now?

SanDiegoRedneck said:
What brand is that?
"Essentials" brand from petvalu
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,878
nothing you can do for the remaining but its also important not to change the routine you're in as it is working just quite not ready for shrimp.
Keep us posted
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #26
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
richiep said:
nothing you can do for the remaining but its also important not to change the routine you're in as it is working just quite not ready for shrimp.
Keep us posted
Sounds good, thanks. I'll provide updates as they come. I'm adding more plants today so hopefully that helps, as for the routine I won't change anything
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,878
bactor ae is excellent and shrimp survival rate is increased, when you get it come back for dosing, dont go on what it says on the tub.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #29
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
The white line shrimp escaped it's molt without issues so I still have 10 shrimp in my tank. They've been extremely active this past week so I'm hoping for the best
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #31
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
Found one of my large females on its side this morning dead from white line. No signs or prior warnings. All parameters are stable and the other inhabitants are fine :/
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,878
This is still a knock on from adding shrimp to early, any that moult successfully will survive
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #33
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
Ah guess only time will heal it. Some of my females are saddled though so that's probably a good sign
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #34
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
778
Update:

I can only find 6 shrimp now and one of them has whiteline. My apple snail and bamboo shrimp have also died. The rasboras are super healthy so I think it might just be an issue of not enough food/biofilm again. Ugh. Also, the biofilm on my driftwood died and started disappearing but it looks like there was a giant wad of snail poo, dead copepods, and dead worms built up in one spot under all the biofilm. Every I've read says it's okay to let biolfim go away on its own but wow I'm never doing that again. I haven't detected any ammonia or anything but I'm sure there are other ways to lessen water quality, I don't think the driftwood issue helped at all.

I am setting up a 20g for the rasboras and will be moving the few shrimp that remain into a heavily planted, dirted 5g once I am confident. I wouldn't say my tank "failed" but I can do things better moving forward with all ive learned. Good learning process for my breeding project as well
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
243
Guests online
3,127
Total visitors
3,370

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom