RCS Breeding Questions

tum0r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey there! I got 4 cherry shrimp super cheap, they were the last ones at the store. I've never had them before, thought it could be a good deal of fun, and I heard that they breed fairly regularly. I'm having difficulty gendering, I think I have 3 female and 1 male, I've attached images of them all, if anybody could help me gender them that'd be lovely! I heard somewhere that shrimp need to molt at least once in a new environment before they breed, is this true? Is there anything I can do to encourage them to breed? My water quality is near pristine, only bout 5 ppm nitrate at the end of the week. I add ground cuttlebone regularly, as well as alder cones and Indian almond leaves and the tank is kept at 77 degrees. Would feeding frozen blood worms encourage breeding? I don't even know if they'd eat bloodworms tbh. Any suggestions would be lovely!

Attachments

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, that's three females and a male.

You really won't need to do anything at all to encourage them to breed. They are like rabbits- it's almost impossible to keep them from breeding. However, if you also have fish in the tank, there's a chance you'll have issues with fish eating baby shrimp, as most fish think the babies are delicious. If you have a lot of hiding places in your tank that will help.

Also, mind that you don't add too much ground cuttlebone as shrimp can have trouble moulting if the hardness of the water is too high. In my own shrimp tanks, I prefer to add a small piece broken off a cuttlebone rather than grinding it- maybe about the size of my thumbnail (I have small hands). It'll float for a few days but eventually sink.

tum0r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
lilirose said:

You really won't need to do anything at all to encourage them to breed. They are like rabbits- it's almost impossible to keep them from breeding. However, if you also have fish in the tank, there's a chance you'll have issues with fish eating baby shrimp, as most fish think the babies are delicious. If you have a lot of hiding places in your tank that will help.

Also, mind that you don't add too much ground cuttlebone as shrimp can have trouble moulting if the hardness of the water is too high. In my own shrimp tanks, I prefer to add a small piece broken off a cuttlebone rather than grinding it- maybe about the size of my thumbnail (I have small hands). It'll float for a few days but eventually sink.
I had no idea too much cuttlebone could be a problem. I'll keep my additions on the lower side from now on, the water is fairly hard as it is. It's an invert only tank, no problems there. How will I know if they are bearing eggs? (Do you happen to know much about ghost shrimp breeding? I was hoping they might breed too)

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to add to the above, it appears your ladies are already saddled so odds are that's going to be one lucky boy when they do molt and hopefully you'll have some berries mommas and babies a few weeks later!

tum0r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
lilirose said:

I had no idea too much cuttlebone could be a problem. I'll keep my additions on the lower side from now on, the water is fairly hard as it is. It's an invert only tank, no problems there. How will I know if they are bearing eggs? (Do you happen to know much about ghost shrimp breeding? I was hoping they might breed too)

tum0r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sfsamm said:
I'd also like to add to the above, it appears your ladies are already saddled so odds are that's going to be one lucky boy when they do molt and hopefully you'll have some berries mommas and babies a few weeks later!
I'm unfamiliar with the term saddled hah, what does it mean?

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
tum0r said:
I'm unfamiliar with the term saddled hah, what does it mean?
Short and sweet version.... they have eggs there where it looks like they are wearing a opaque possibly yellowish saddle.... when they molt they will move them down and if the male finds them they'll hold them under their tail and care for them until they hatch.

tum0r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sfsamm said:
Short and sweet version.... they have eggs there where it looks like they are wearing a opaque possibly yellowish saddle.... when they molt they will move them down and if the male finds them they'll hold them under their tail and care for them until they hatch.
Ah! Thank you, I knew the term berried, not saddled.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom