Rcs And Water Change

andybui

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Recently I did a regular 25% water change but this time I had RCS that I've added about a week ago.

Not long after my water change I noticed that one of the RCS died.

I try my best to match the temp when I do them, I usually see the temp strip slowly mid transition up or down a degree. Is this what's stressing them?

I also read that I should let the dechlorinator sit in the water separately first before adding since they're more sensitive to chlorine.

Just wondering if there is any thing I was suppose to change up in the way I do water changes that's more suitable for the RCS.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello and Welcome to FL

My guess is that maybe the ph was different from the tap to what was in the tank. I would first check the tank ph and then check the ph from the tap. Usually a ph swing ( either high or low ) is like altitude sickness in fish and can cause fish/inverts to die quickly.

What other occupants in the tank and how long has the tank bee set up?

What about the other parameters such as Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate?

andybui

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@Junne Straight out of tap the pH of my water is 6.6 (I read that I should test it within 24-48 hours of leaving it out with an airstone but haven't done so yet)

To my surprise the pH of my tank is 8.0. My last test showed it to be 6.8 about a month ago. Not sure what causes it to rise up.

It's a 2 year old cycled tank but may have been reseted when the filter cartridge was rinsed with tap water (I had cloudy water for 2 weeks)

During that time and now though my
Ammonia is always below .25 but never 0. Been trying to fix it with water changes but no luck yet

Nitrate and Nitrite are at 0.

Current stock is
5 neon tetras (1 of 6 vanished)
3 emerald corydora and 3 abino
4 guppies
1 DG
About 10 RCS atm

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RCS are very sensitive to water quality. Is this in your 40g? I would do 10% changes every other day until your tank is cycled. Might add TSS+ to help speed up the cycle too.

andybui

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah this is my 40g. My tank is around 8pH and my tap water is 6.6ish straight out. Do you think it'll be fine with 10% water changes?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom