RCS and Gravel Vac

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by uprightandlocked, Apr 3, 2010.

1. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Okay...I need help. Apparently, I have an outbreak of planaria in my RCS tank. I have been spot cleaning this tank where the algae wafers fall with a turkey baster. Apparently, this isn't cutting it. Any advice for using a gravel vac in a shrimp tank? Its a 10g tank, btw.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Go slow, give the shrimp enough time to get out of the way.

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I agree with Jaysee, I have sucked up shrimp before with a gravel vac. You can always pick any up from the bucket after the cleaning mine never did die from being vaccumed but I'm sure they didnt enjoy it lol.

4. jersey

jersey Valued Member Member

yeah i have a mini gravel vac that i use for my betta and cherry shrimp tanks. i find its less likely to suck the shrimp up.

5. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

If you hold your finger on the outgoing part of the tube you can stop as soon as you see a shrimp fly up and then they have time to run out of the tube.

6. OP
    OP
    u

Okay, thanks everyone. When you talk about a mini gravel vac how big are we talking? I just bought a new one for 5g tanks that is smaller than my old one, but is that mini? Do they come smaller?

7. OP
    OP
    u

Alright, I carefully (and thoroughly!) gravel vac'd my 10g RCS tank. The reason I started this tank was to have a cleaning crew for my plants that are in my betta tanks (this is the first time in my life I've dealt with algae issues). So I took this opportunity to remove the first batch of sparkling clean plants and then install a new set of algae covered plants. Hopefully the shrimp do an equally great job on this one.

This tank has me so nervous. I've had these shrimp for about two months now and its only the last two weeks or so that they've finally come out and began staying visible. Unfortunately, almost all of the adult shrimp I bought passed in the first week or two. Now the babies are growing up. I don't even know how many are left out of the original 30, but the most I've seen at one time is seven. I hope they begin to thrive here, shortly!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice