Rcs Abnormal Molting - How To Increase Gh Safely But As Quickly As Possible

1. R

RadiantStarr New Member Member

Yesterday, I came to own 15 RCS since a friend of mine was culling her colony (safely drip acclimated). This was pretty sudden and while I happened to already have a fully cycled planted 5.5 gal (betta recently passed), my city's water is known for being very soft. And after researching, I know that's a problem for shrimp and can cause molting issues.... which I'm seeing now (see attachments - not my photos since I can't get a good picture but these are pretty close).

Parameters:
    Tank Size: 5.5 gal
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 5-10
    Temp: 78F-80F
    ph: 6.6
    gH: 3 (drops?)
    kH: 2-3 (drops?)

I've crushed some cuttlebone and placed it in the filter and I got my hands on Seachem Equilibrium today. By my calculations, it's about 1/8 tsp to increase the gH by 1 for a 5 gallon tank. My question is, how quickly can I raise my gH in a safe manner? I only have one shrimp with molting problems right now and I assume it's too late to save it. But I'd like to prevent any other shrimp from developing the same problems.
    Attached Thumbnails
    IMG_2311.jpg IMG_2312.jpg

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Oh poor thing :(
    Seeing as people drip acclimate shrimp bought online to different parameters over a matter of hours (and some just plop and drop) I think you can safety raise it to a 5 over the next 24 hours. Then to a 6 when you want, which I consider pretty ideal. I usually just directly add GH booster into the water without dissolving - actually if it slowly dissolves in the tank it’s not as drastic a change as dissolving in a cup and pouring that in.

3. OP
    OP
    R

RadiantStarr New Member Member

Yeah that abnormal molting looks painful :(
    Thank you for the advice! I was worried that increasing the GH to 5/6 in 24 hours would be too much change.

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

You could do it slower too, 3 isn’t super dangerous temporarily and this one was probably a result of premature molting from moving rather than your water.