Rcs Abnormal Molting - How To Increase Gh Safely But As Quickly As Possible

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by RadiantStarr, Jun 19, 2018.

1. RadiantStarrNew MemberMember

Yesterday, I came to own 15 RCS since a friend of mine was culling her colony (safely drip acclimated). This was pretty sudden and while I happened to already have a fully cycled planted 5.5 gal (betta recently passed), my city's water is known for being very soft. And after researching, I know that's a problem for shrimp and can cause molting issues.... which I'm seeing now (see attachments - not my photos since I can't get a good picture but these are pretty close).

Parameters:
    Tank Size: 5.5 gal
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 5-10
    Temp: 78F-80F
    ph: 6.6
    gH: 3 (drops?)
    kH: 2-3 (drops?)

I've crushed some cuttlebone and placed it in the filter and I got my hands on Seachem Equilibrium today. By my calculations, it's about 1/8 tsp to increase the gH by 1 for a 5 gallon tank. My question is, how quickly can I raise my gH in a safe manner? I only have one shrimp with molting problems right now and I assume it's too late to save it. But I'd like to prevent any other shrimp from developing the same problems.
    Attached Thumbnails
    IMG_2311.jpgIMG_2312.jpg

2. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Oh poor thing :(
    Seeing as people drip acclimate shrimp bought online to different parameters over a matter of hours (and some just plop and drop) I think you can safety raise it to a 5 over the next 24 hours. Then to a 6 when you want, which I consider pretty ideal. I usually just directly add GH booster into the water without dissolving - actually if it slowly dissolves in the tank it’s not as drastic a change as dissolving in a cup and pouring that in.

3. OP
    OP
    R

RadiantStarrNew MemberMember

Yeah that abnormal molting looks painful :(
    Thank you for the advice! I was worried that increasing the GH to 5/6 in 24 hours would be too much change.

4. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

You could do it slower too, 3 isn’t super dangerous temporarily and this one was probably a result of premature molting from moving rather than your water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice