RBTA strange behavior??

billyboy2

HI all,
I don't want to even begin to think I know everthing about anemones, but I know some things to look for as a sign of health. the RBTA I am speaking of has a weird mouth. on an earlier post I asked about a shriveled RBTA, I was startled to see a wide open mouth which gave me a view of the insides of the anemone. just within the last hour it has inflated and looks great, the wide open mouth is small, tight, but still appears to be open like the hole for the mouth is a odd shape and when it trys to close it there are gaps in spots. it's hard to explain, but I am still concerned. I have owned diffrent anemones in the past and this one is behaving like no other and is scaring me more frequently than i'd like lol....is this normal behavior for one of these? as I mentioned in my previous post this is the second day of having the anemone, and I know they do all sorts of odd things when getting use to a tank, I just don't want to wake up one day with everything dead cause the anemone died! should I be concerned from what i've observed? my clowns that I am trying to get to host the anemone are also acting alittle odd. the male seems at times interested in the anemone and will go in occasionally but the female seems repulsed by it and chases the male away when it goes near?!? what do you think??

also should mention that this anemone seems to be "hiding" from the light.... my aquarium's lighting provides about 5 watts/gallon. nothing extreme, why would it hide??? it's wedged between two pieces of live rock with its foot on the substrate and the tenticles coming out in between the live rock. I want to do everything I can to keep this anemone healthy and happy, any suggestions or recommendations? I should mention my water is tested daily as I do not use a protien skimmer, I do a 5% change per-day. I have more than 30lbs of live rock, a powerhead, and two aquaclear 30 filters. water test for today reads: salinity 1.024, pH 8.4, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 0ppm, ammonia 0ppm, temp 79 deg F. maybe I should be testing for something else??

one last thing, my cleaner shrimp pick at it frequently, I thought they would get stung?? could it loose its ability to sting?

I've merged your posts. Thanks! Ken

sgould

Any possibility of some pics?

billyboy2

here are some picts, the first one is it shrivled its hard to see in the picture but it has a open mouth about the size my pinky finger could fit in. the second picture it looks a lot better but has fallen off the rock and is hiding inbetween two rocks ?

Attachments

• hiding.JPG
    hiding.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 221
  • shrivled.JPG
    shrivled.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 318

billyboy2

Just an update...I would definitly think something is wrong with this anemone. It only inflates and looks healthy when its night time, it has been inflating about the same time each evening....about 9pm 1 hr before daylights are out and evening lighting begins. should it not be the other way around? doesn't it need light to survive?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
vhpinfl
Replies
Views
10gallonmadness
Replies
Views
Ricky
Replies
Views