Raw Newbie here

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Merri68, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Merri68

Merri68Valued MemberMember

Hello I 'm Merri.

I sort of fell into fish keeping a few months ago. I have cats, and as winters in my area of the USA are very long, I decided to get "the furkids" a fish tank to keep them entertained. They made the transition from drooling over the birds in the yard (from behind the security of a window), to sitting for hours in front of the tank. The fish don't seem to mind the feline noseprints on the glass. In fact, I have two fish who stare right back at 'em. .

I started out with two goldfish in a twenty gallon tank. The furkids loved them, and quite soon, so did I. But the goldfish started growing, and I could see that a 20 gallon tank was to them, like being stuck in a broom closet. They needed more space.

That's when I started to read, and found out my concerns for them were valid. A bigger tank was in order.

About that time I suddenly lost two of my four cats, one to sudden illness, the second dying of grief at the loss of the first.

So now I was down to two furkids, and two little goldfish faces staring out at me from a too-small tank.

I decided to increase my goldies' tank to a 55 gallon. Yes, they do have names: Sparky and The Flash. Sparky is a calico fancy female, and The Flash is a tangerine colored male. Yeah, I named my fish.. I'm an ol lady so humor me, please

So now the goldies were in a big tank, with plenty of room to swim, at least for a while. I added a common pleco (which will soon be re-homed, as I now know he's going to become a REALLY big boy, pretty quick. My bad for not doing homework before buying! )

I have added 10 zebra danios to the tank, so the goldies would have something to do besides beg for food. They seem to enjoy " the 'lil guys" and everyone gets along quite well.. All fins are intact and the tank is pleasantly active.

The other day I added a tiny albino bristlenose pleco.. After looking at pics of his species, I named him Grover. Grover shouldn't get much bigger than the goldies. If he does, well.. I can always get a bigger tank.

Because the gf are especially "dirty" tankmates I do change filters more often than is normally necessary for a community tank. I also have an Eheim vaccuum wand and vaccuum the substrate daily. The fish are so used to my efforts that none of them so much as bat an eye when the maid shows up.

In fact, knock on wood, the tank is doing well. If the finkids start to bump elbows I suppose I will have to consider getting a bigger tank than a 55 gallon, but for now, we're good. I plan to upgrade my filter so this tank's tenants don't start complaining about each others' bad breath or smelly fins.. In spite of myself, the waterbabies I originally bought to entertain my kitties have found a place in my heart.

So here I am, ready to learn.

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

Goldfish generally belong in a species-only tank.
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. bluOlive

bluOliveNew MemberMember

Welcome Merri, I enjoyed your "tail."

We name most of our fish. Especially if they stand out. I have 3 tetras I can't tell which is which so they are just called the Skirts.

I wish my cat would notice them. She just likes when I open the cupboard doors.
    Olive

4. OP
    OP
    Merri68

Thanks for the welcomes

Yeah, goldies need extra cleanup because they're heavy on bio-load. That's why I do the extra maintence, so the danios don't swim in polluted water. So far, so goodNo clamped fins or requests for gas masks. No nibbled fins, either. Everyone's just swimming around, peacefully. I did some research before adding the other tenants. It can be done.

5. Dadio

DadioWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to the home of the pets that belong to fish. ;)

Sounds like your doing well and learning the good as you go. Np with a few friends and fancies at all. I have 3 fancies in a 55 with a dwarf bn pleco and my first fancy (bubbles) is 8 years old and spent all her time with my koi until one of my butterfly koi "diablo" took a disliking to him. Just keep the maintenance good and they should all be fine together. That's the nice thing about canister filters as they can well handle the bioload and lessen the maintenance somewhat..

6. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Welcome! I too have kitty babies who once a week or so "rediscover" that there are actual critters in the giant water bowls that mommy spends so much time fussing with, it's really quite cute seeing them get all excited. We love pictures here btw! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Welcome! And yes, pictures please!

8. TracyLeeAnne

TracyLeeAnneValued MemberMember

Hi Merri! Loved your intro, hope you enjoy the site! I'm looking forward to hearing more about Sparky and The Flash! I keep seahorses and have named them too - I have Cleo & Julius and Glutton & Quarter. My cat, Lazarus, has gotten over them but I am forever entertained :D

9. thefishdude277

thefishdude277Well Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    It's completely safe to add a BN pleco , just make sure it has a piece of driftwood to suck on
    And secretly put in a boiled cucumber slice every night when the goldies are asleep, since the pleco is awake at night
    I'd watch out for the danios getting eaten

:)

10. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to the forum, glad you're here. Sorry about your loosing your two kitties. Your tank sounds really nice, I like your sense of humor. Alison

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!

12. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. OP
    OP
    Merri68

Wow, more friendly faces!

Thanks for the warning about the lil guys.. I'll keep a headcount on the danios, but luckily right now everyone seems happy with the hotel smorgasbord. I confess to being a cronic overfeeder, so the tiny fish have more to fear from my vaccuum and water changing siphon, than the bigger fish.

I sucked up a danio the other day and when I looked in the large tube, the lil guy was pointing head down and swimming for dear life against the current. Half a second more and it would have been a goner. I was shocked that it survived, but it did. But then, any fish species that evolved in the waters of the Himalayas has to be tough.

Same goes for Grover.. He's itty bitty still, doesn't even have bristles yet that I can see. He moves so fast! I' ve added a couple of hidey hole stones for him. They don't match the tank decor but they'll do the job till he gets bigger.

Again, thanks for the welcomes Now it's time for me to go learn stuff! See you all in the forums!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice