Rate your lfs's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atmmachine816, Mar 30, 2006.

1. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Here's where you can rate your lfs's on there variety/selection, cleanliness/quality, and staff friendlyness and knowledge. 1 being the worst and 10 being the best.  Please rate as I did below, if you don't want to include the city you do not have to but please include the store and state.  Enjoy ;D Also I did not come up with this idea somebody from another forum did, I just edited it a little.

State:Ohio
    City:Strongsville
    Store:Strongsville Pet Emporium

Variety/Selection: 6 (Ok SW seletion)
    Cleanliness/quality: 2
    Staff Friendlyness and Knowledge:3 unless you get the GM then its 7
    smiley rating   :-\
    comments: Only in for the buisness, don't care at all about their fish

Store: Petsupermarket

Variety/Selection:7 (No SW)
    Cleanliness/Quality:7
    Staff Friendlyness and Knowledge:5
    Smiley rating:   :)
    comments: not a big selection but have never had any problems and they seem to care about their fish

Store:pet Supplies Plus

Variety/selection:3 (No SW)
    Cleanliness/quality:1
    Staff Friendlyness and Knowledge:0
    Smiley rating:   :'(
    Comments: Overpriced and overall bad

City:Middleburg Heights
    Store: RMS Aquaculture

Variety/selection:8 (some SW but not much)
    Cleanliness/Quality:7
    Staff Friendlyness and Knowlege:6
    Smiley rating:   :D
    comments: Overall good and very reasonably priced with most people giving good advice

City:parma
    Store:petsmart

Variety/selection:7
    Cleanliness/Quality:5
    Staff Friendlyness and Knowledge: 4
    Smiley rating: :(
    comments: They don't give accurate information, say silver dollars only get 4 inches

City:Cleveland
    Store:Aquarium Adventure

Variety/selection: 9
    Cleanliness/Quality:10
    Staff Friendlyness and Knowledge: 10
    Smiley rating: ;D 8) :D ;D 8) :D ;D 8) :D
    comments:Excellent store, take great care of their fish, great advice, not a good selection of plecos and a few other fish, great display tanks, don't buy anything there though unless you can't find it anywheres else because they are WAY overpriced, go to RMS instead

2. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

State: MN
    Store: Fleugel's Lawn, Garden, and Pet Supply
    Selection of fish: 6
    cleanliness/quality: 7 but it smells like dog food, understandably so, dog food STINKS!!
    Staff knowledge: 8
    smiley rating: um... :)
    But I still like Walmart better for supplies, a lot cheaper

3. MarcWell Known MemberMember

StoreCityState---VarietyQualityStaffRating
    Petland DiscountsAnsoniaCT773 :-\
    Purr-Fect PetsMilfordCT979 ;D
    Turnpike Pet Ctr.FairfieldCT9910 ;D
    Slither & Swim PetsWest HavenCT881 :mad:
    Pet Supplies PlusOrange/FairfieldCT322 :'(
    Norwalk AquariumNorwalkCT101010 ;D ;D ;D
    Waterbury AquariumWaterburyCT101010 ;D ;D ;D

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

State:MN
    Store:A Wet Pet
    Selection:8
    Quality:10
    Staff:9
    Rating: :D
    only reason I didn't give it a ;D is because the stuff is so expensive!

5. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

My lfs's SUCK

6. czarbenNew MemberMember

Sate: MI
    City: East Lansing
    Store: Preuss Animal House

Variety/selection: 9
    Cleanliness/quality:6
    Staff Friendlyness and Knowledge: 8
    Smiley rating: ;D

7. DinoFishlore VIPMember

I am currently lfs less.
    Last shop I worked with let their tanks go to .
    So, it's online and the clubs I belong to for now.

Dino

8. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

So Michael's is a wash?

9. DinoFishlore VIPMember

Sad to say, but yes.
    Shop kept looking worse and worse each visit. His freshwater tanks looked pathetic.
    I would not be surprised to see it close if nothing changes by years end.

Dino

10. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I'm so sorry Dino. Gunnie is now on a mission to locate another great lfs to go to when traveling up there.............. ;D

11. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

hey I know where that is :D never been there though :mad: :mad: if I could drive I would be to like all the stores within a 50 mile radius of me...just to find one that is good :mad:

12. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

If you can you should check it out...they've got tons of fish including saltwater and unusual species. I think it's the only place I can go to without getting depressed by all the fish with ich. I've seen KUHLI LOACHES there before!! (now you gotta go ;D) Although I don't think they have them currently. They've got a huge tank with discus and a mated pair of piranhas right now, along with the usual 10 thousand species of tetra and cichlid and goldfish, plus every other common and less common fish, oh yeah and marine fish. Really awesome place. ;)
    hehe now you'll be so mad if your parents won't take you there... ;D ;D

13. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Bump! This is a good resource - we should keep it in view!

14. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Stickied it so it will stay on top andwe can continue to add to it as a resource. Good idea Marc ;)
    Carol

15. MarcWell Known MemberMember

If we get it big enough I'll make a page where you can search for them, order by rating, etc., and if Mike wanted, he could add it to the site. Bad pet stores, beware! :)

16. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

Store-------------------------City---------------State-----Variety-----Quality-----Staff-----Rating-------Comments
    PetSupply Plus Newark OH 6 5 5 7 could be better maintained

Petsmart Renaldsburg OH 8+ 9+ 8+ 9 very Little variety

Petsmart Easton OH 8 9 9 9 good all around fish store

Aquarium Adventure Dublin OH 10 10 10 10 the best LFS (that i have been to)

around

17. ManicivyValued MemberMember

Queens, NYC area:

ALL Petland Discounts (I've been to 6 or 7 in the area) get 3's in all categories! Always giving wrong information, fish are always sick! Very sad. Last time I was there I asked for a cory and the man had me point it out because he didnt know which one was a Cory!!!!

Petco, Union square & Petco Howard Beach: Variety=5 Quality=6/7 Staff=8

Paradise Aquarium, Ridgewood= Variety=8 Quality=9 Staff=8 Most staff very knowledgeable, sometimes will tell you things to get you to buy more fish, expensive.

I'm trying a new store today for ottos called Fish Town USA so I'll get back to you about them.

18. ManicivyValued MemberMember

Fish Town USA gets 9's across the board! Excellent excellent store...GREAT prices and TONS of selection

19. KanadianNew MemberMember

the best LFS where i am @ in Lethbridge Alberta Canada is where i work!!! but hey @ my Petcetra store.. if i was a customer i'd have to say 8 staff knowladge selection 9 as we got a mass variety of everything from FW brac and good variety of salt! clean... ehh well what big pet store doesnt have mice! lol quality i'd say a 7.5 as we deal with a larger quantity its hard to keep it all perfect :)

20. BoxermomValued MemberMember

Locally, we are lucky to have one of the few PetCos that really takes good care of their fish. We don't buy much in the way of aquatica there though, we tend to go to the not-so-local store up in Milwaukee. The best one by far is Aquatics Unlimited in West Allis/Greenfield on Highway 100. First rate fish, great customer support, staff that really knows a thing or two, wonderful variety.  

There's another one in Milwaukee called Hoffer's Aquatic Life that I won't buy livestock from, and their hardware is usually much more expensive than I can buy online. Their tanks almost always have several dead fish in most of them, they haven't got a clue how to care for their puffers so they are mistreating them, the staff isn't very knowledgeable, etc. The only thing we get there are live blackworms, as they are cheaper than at AU.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice